Main Purpose of the Job
The Workshop Controller role is one of the busiest roles within the Dealership. This role consists of handing out work to Vehicle Technicians to ensure smooth running of the workshop. The role holder will also liaise with the Service Department, and to be on hand to answer any queries from other departments and our customers.
The role is responsible for ensuring all incoming work is planned then managing the time and resource. The Workshop Controller assigns technicians to tasks ensuring productivity is maximised and that deadlines are adhered to. As line manager for technicians the role holder is responsible for performance management, coaching and development of the team.
Quality checking, ordering of parts, audit and compliance as well as health and safety are also important elements of this role.
This role is also Customer facing and may include road tests and managing query resolution.
As with all positions within dealerships, Workshop Controllers are expected to uphold the highest ethical standards.
- Customer Satisfaction: To assist management in implementing and maintaining effective processes to achieve the highest possible customer satisfaction levels in excess of the manufacturer national average.
- Generating Gross Profit: To deliver gross profit in line with the business plan by maximising the number of hours sold, driving revenue per transaction, ensuring 100% adherence to the VHC process and motivating product sales.
- Workshop Loading: To distribute and control the issue of work to the Technicians to maximise quality and overall efficiency.
- Supervising the Team: To lead, motivate, coach and develop the team to achieve their daily objectives.
- Parts Liaison: To ensure a strong relationship is maintained with the parts department to maximise parts availability.
- Documentation Quality: To ensure the accurate completion of all relevant documentation for each repair.
- Manufacturer Franchise Warranty Standards: To ensure that the manufacturer’s warranty standards are adhered to at all times.
- Health and Safety: To ensure that a safe working environment is maintained in line with the Company’s Health & Safety policy and that general housekeeping and appearance are maintained at a high standard.
- To perform any duties that are reasonably incidental to the role.
Knowledge and Experience
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to deal diplomatically with customer, manufacturer’s representatives and colleagues in a polite and professional manner, both written and verbal
- Experience in the preparation and submission of warranty claims
- Organized with the ability to multitask efficiently
- Flexible and approachable manner
- Self-motivated and able to work under own initiative
- Take accountability for own decisions
- Analytical and methodical approach to problems
- Able to work on initiatives for improvements
- Experienced with computers and a variety of programs
- Act with discretion when dealing with matters of a confidential nature
- Good, sound knowledge of Large Goods Vehicle Operators License requirements would be advantageous, but not essential.
Delivering results and meeting customer expectations: Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction; sets high standards for quality and quantity; monitors and maintains quality and productivity; works in a systematic, methodical and orderly way; consistently achieves project goals.
Coping with Pressures and Setbacks: Maintains a positive outlook at work, working productively in a pressurised environment, keeping emotions under control during difficult situations. Handles criticism well and learns from it by balancing the demands of a work life and a personal life.
Deciding and Initiating Action: Takes responsibility for actions, projects and people and uses initiative, working under own direction.
Initiates and generates activity and introduces changes into work processes. Makes quick, clear decisions which may include tough choices or considered risks.
Applying Expertise and Technology: Applies specialist and detailed technical expertise, using technology to achieve work objectives. Develops job knowledge and expertise (theoretical and practical) through continual professional development, demonstrating an understanding of different organisational departments and functions.
- Operations Management
- Work Processes