Work Placement - Design
Position: Work Placement - Design
Location: London, Aldgate, E1 8FA - some business travel required by rail
Grade: RCS O
Salary: £18,700 (£17,000 + 10% London weighting)
Job Type: 12 month contract
Hours: 09:00-17:00, Monday to Friday
Applicants must be studying a recognised sandwich undergraduate degree, with anticipated graduation date of summer 2020 and on track to achieve at least a 2:2.
DHL Supply Chain is the global market leader in contract logistics, providing warehousing, managed transport and value-added services at every link in the supply chain for customers in a variety of industries. We also offer solutions for corporate information and communications management tailored precisely to the needs of our customers.
We have a very exciting opportunity for an undergraduate looking to complete a Work Placement as part of their university degree. This requirement for an Internal Design Resource will give the successful candidate an opportunity to be involved in commercial projects and deliver as part of our DHL Specialist Services Team - they will support Product Innovation and its presentation to our customers. This Work Placement will support current, new and potential customers (through bid work). Research of the market and of supplier capability, design, presentation and development of products is required.
Key Responsibilities in this role will include (fully supported by Managers):
* Research subjects as briefed
* Produce storyboards as briefed
* Produce design packs with Adobe illustrator and Adobe Photoshop as briefed
* Maintain technical files relating to products in development in a central depository as requested
* Work with the Technical team (based at Brackmills, Northampton) to manage the storage and recording of sealed samples
* Recording of innovation and development plans
What will the working environment be like?
A small Managed Procurement Service team based in London, which interacts regularly with the NUMs team on uniform and other teams on new product ideas - the team has a culture of developing start up business ideas and harnessing innovation. The NUMs team works with (mainly) Police uniforms - for the Metropolitan Police and will be actively 'on-boarding' additional Police Forces with differing uniforms.
What will I need to be successful in this role?
* Experience of design research and development to a set brief
* Expert level of CAD design drawing using Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop - plus skills in fashion illustration
* Microsoft Office skills - especially Powerpoint
* Knowledge of garment or equipment or PPE QA process both pre and post production
* Experience of project management and delivering projects to set deadlines
* Intermediate knowledge of product development, construction and manufacturing processes
* Experience of working with diverse cultures
* Currently undertaking a relevant design degree or product development/management degree or equivalent professional qualification
What will you get in return?
As part of a growing DHL population you will receive access to a variety of our excellent benefits which include 25 days holiday and retail discounts.
In return for your hard work we offer excellent career progression opportunities where you can acquire, use and continue developing your skills. Upon successful completion of the DHL Work Placement we will offer you a place on our Graduate Programme!
We want our Work Placement employees to build their careers with us and contribute their ideas to influence the success of our business; and give them the opportunity to be a part of an organisation that makes a contribution to society as well as to the world of logistics.
Facts and FiguresDivisionV7, SUPPLY CHAINEmployment TypeTemporary Full-TimeBusiness UnitDHL Supply Chain UKContract TypeTemporary (Full-Time)LocationLondonWorking Hours37.5Job TypeMarketing & CommunicationsShift RequirementDay time onlyCareer LevelGraduates & Entry-Level ProfessionalsRelocation OfferedNoneResponsible forTravel RequiredBelow 25%Reports toProduct Director Travel ExtentWithin countryTarget Hire Date18/03/2018Work Permit RequiredYes