Windows Subject Matter Expert
About the Role
The Windows SME primary focus is being responsible for improvement of the company's operational infrastructure. This is a technical specialist role focusing on Problem Management & Action resolution, Capacity Management, Vendor Management, Licencing, Audit, Asset Management as well as process improvement and correct tooling.
- Expert in their specialist area provides mentoring and guidance to the operational and delivery teams when required.
Problem Management & Root Cause Analysis
- Act as the Technical specialist to guarantee problem resolutions.
- Owner of processes for any Windows related P1 and P2 incidents to review and improve
- Coordinate with all infrastructure teams as a majority of problem improvement involves technical and process changes.
Audit & Risk
- Owner of all Windows related audit actions and progress to be KPI driven and reviewed on a regular basis.
- Be the technical contact for any planned Audit or Pen test.
- Produce infrastructure build compliance and security templates.
- Define, Review and test plans for all infrastructure areas including Identify and Test major components once per year Identify failover risks including capacity for supporting concurrent users and services.
- Support the Design manager in the creation of Hardware and Software version roadmaps.
- Operations to implement a regular upgrade path.
- Ensure all assets are managed through their lifecycle
- Ensure all installed software is in compliance with licence agreements.
- Define & implement Proactive Capacity planning, tracked and KPIs' reported on
- Define Threshold's and implement proactive alerting including the Implementation of Predictive analysis - growth / decrease in infrastructure
- Explain Root cause for all growth and decreases.
Tooling and Automation
- Technical owner of tooling for specialist area including production of functional requirements from all Operational teams.
- Help Consolidate number of tools leveraging functionality and reducing cost.
- Identify repetitive manual tasks / requests throughout infrastructure.
- Implement Automated backup, Inventory, config management
Technical Skills & Requirements
(Essential) Proven experience of:
- Design, build and supporting Windows servers.
- Deployment of physical and virtual via VMware, HP and Cisco UCS Server hardware.
- Microsoft Windows 2008 & 2012.
- VMware vCenter, Cisco UCS Manager/Central, Active Directory, SCCM, SCOM, Windows Clustering and Windows Security.
- Defining standard builds in Microsoft SCCM, VM templates in vCenter and Service Profiles in UCS Manager/Central to build servers on VMware, HP & UCS and ESXi hosts.
- Proposing hardware and operating system configurations to meet design specifications.
- Configuration of server backups using CommVault Simpana.
- Experience of automation tools like Microsoft System Center Orchestrator.
- Experience of Kerberos in regards to securing Windows applications and AD integration.
- Experience of working within the ITIL framework
- Working in a "DEVOPS" Style organisational model
McGregor Boyall is an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate based on race, religion, gender, age, sexuality, gender identification, or physical ability.