Weekend Assistant - Harlow Central Library
Harlow Central Library
Rota to be confirmed, this will be flexible.
Essex County Council (ECC) is one of the largest and most dynamic local authorities in the UK, serving a population of 2 million residents, and has a very successful track record of delivering transformational change. ECC anticipated change was needed in the public sector and has worked to deliver better quality at lower cost. We have an ambitious transformation agenda - one with the scope to reach every part of the council. We are changing the way we think, the way we work, and the ways in which we deliver our services. We are committed to becoming a place where individuals, partners and communities feel proud to play their role and genuinely want to belong. We're immensely proud of our flexible working options.
To welcome library customers and deal with enquiries as well as involvement in stock circulation and promotional activities.
To deliver library services efficiently and effectively on Saturdays and Sundays.
- To welcome library customers and ensure a good standard of customer care is maintained.
- To undertake all stock circulation procedures including:
- issue, renewal and discharge of loanable items
- membership routines
- fines and other income
- sorting, shelving and tidying returned material
- using ICT equipment
- stock maintenance
- To answer telephone enquiries, including the operation of a switchboard where appropriate.
- To answer directional and other enquiries, referring them as necessary and to assist customers with using ICT including the libraries' network.
- To oversee the use and maintenance of photocopiers, fax machines and other equipment.
- To assist in the compilation of statistical returns.
- To participate in training and development and be responsible for self-development.
- To assist with promotional activities both inside and outside the library.
- To act as key holder, lock and unlock, when necessary.
- To support the implementation of the Service plan.
- To be aware of access needs and integrate equality issues into all areas of working
- To comply with the individual responsibilities for Health Safety & Welfare in the workplace, including ensuring safeguarding children, in accordance with work role.
- To participate in cash handling routines
- To undertake any other appropriate duties, as determined by the Duty Manager.
- Ability to work every Sunday and frequent Saturdays as determined by management.
- Ability to undertake the physical aspects of the job, including shelving and counter work
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- European Computer Driving Licence or NVQ level 2 in IT, or demonstrable ICT skills and a willingness to undertake a European Computer Driving Licence and achieve full ECDL accreditation
- GCSEs - or equivalent in a range of subjects: Maths and English at grades A to C, or relevant NVQ or equivalent qualification, or demonstrably equivalent ability
- Working with the public in a people-orientated service (cont over page)
- An understanding of the need to deliver a service that has our customers as the focus of all activities
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found on https://benefits
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
If you have any queries regarding this role, or require anything further, please contact the Essex Recruitment Team on *
*Calls to this number are charged in the same way as calls to numbers starting 01 or 02, please check with your service provider
Working for Essex welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of gender, race, disability, age or sexual orientation.
Working for Essex is a trading name of Capita Resourcing Ltd. Services offered are those of an Employment Agency and Employment Business. Applicants will be required to register with us.
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'