Castlegate IT are looking for a talented graphic designer to join us and help make beautiful, accessible and useable websites. If you’ve got a natural flair for design, a strong creative streak, some experience of web design, and like working with clients to turn their ideas, aspirations or brands into beautiful pixels, then we’d love to hear from you.
Responsibilities and Duties
You will be working with us on websites for hundreds of clients across all industries. You will be particularly closely involved during the early stages of web projects, when along with our project managers you will be liaising directly with clients to understand their requirements and develop graphical designs that excite them. From client meetings, questionnaires and specifications you will be creating wireframes, sitemaps and ultimately layered graphical mockups that can be passed to our developers.
This is a great opportunity to be part of a supportive team in a small but ambitious web development company that already has a huge portfolio of satisfied clients. We hope to be expanding our design and development team in future years, so this is your chance to get in early and grow with us. Supported by our existing designer/developers, you’ll learn all about user experience (UX), accessibility, web standards and SEO as you develop within the company.
Qualifications and Skills
We’re looking for someone with:
- Experience of design for web (with examples of work) - it could be during employment, as part of a course or a personal or side project.
- Excellent communication skills, team working skills and good written English.
- Experience with at least one graphical design package - ideally Photoshop or Adobe XD.
- A willingness to learn and develop your skills and understanding in web technologies.
Ideally you will also have:
- A basic understanding of HTML/CSS and experience with responsive web design.
- Some experience in design to client specifications.
- An understanding of the principles of Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) and Conversion Rate Optimisation (CRO).
- Familiarity with the principles of accessibility, UX design and human-computer interaction.
Salary is based on experience (though we absolutely never pay less than the living wage).
This is a great opportunity to gain experience and establish a position in a forward-thinking, growing company in the heart of historic York. You would be joining our friendly team in our light and airy first-floor York office just off Walmgate. Here are some more reasons:
- We have secure bike parking, and are only a short walk from all forms of public transport and the city centre.
- We operate a flexible working hours policy
- We are a Living Wage Employer.
- We have occasional office gaming sessions (attendance is not mandatory!)
- Tea, coffee and fruit is provided by the company and we’ll take you out for drinks and meals whenever we can think of an excuse to.
- We have a profit share scheme that distributes quarterly bonuses to all employees
- We have an eclectic office playlist to which all staff contribute
We look after sites for more than 300 satisfied clients, mostly in the Yorkshire region but a handful further afield. All the company directors work day-to-day in the office, in sales, operations and development. Our culture is that all employees have a say and a stake in how the company develops, and are encouraged to contribute to our Ethical Policy. We have a community giving fund, which is nominated and voted on by all employees.
We encourage personal and professional development, and will provide you with access to learning materials and the time to use them. We will also pay for you to attend relevant conferences and training.