It's an exciting time to join the Operations function at AWE, we are transforming the way we work and continuing to support the demand of the business. Working for one of the area's largest employers and enjoying an excellent work/life balance, we can offer a competitive basic salary plus generous holiday entitlement, nine day working fortnight, workplace pension scheme and additional flexible benefits scheme.
We are currently looking to recruit a Waste Officer based from our sites near Reading. The Waste Officer will act as facility waste co-ordinator and advisor for relevant project/facility wastes including waste acceptance requirements, identification, characterisation, minimisation, storage, containment and sustainable procurement
Post holders will be appointed for Radioactive, Controlled and Aqueous Waste Routes
We are looking for the Waste Officer to have -
- A sound understanding of the general principles of radioactivity and awareness of radiological instrumentation
- Self-confidence to challenge long established processes and activities in order to influence for change and manage waste in line with the waste hierarchy/BAT
- Awareness of the regulatory regime for RA wastes and the management of other waste types
- Knowledge of Environmental Management Systems, audits, inspections and investigations.
- Excellent problem solving skills, an inquisitive nature and desire to drive constant improvement.
- A Science based degree or equivalent experience
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country's nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and applicants with disabilities.