VMS/OpenVMS Migration Project Consultant is required to develop and deliver a project roadmap for a OpenVMS to LINUX migration as well as supporting the analysis and detail planning and being involved with the execution of different phases of a migration project.
This is very much a one-off opportunity - based in the south of the UK. Occasional travel required to sites in and around the UK, Channel Islands and Europe.
The successful candidate will be responsible for helping the client create the roadmap for the migration project to then support and manage different phases of the migration. You should have a proven track record in a similar role and the ability to combine very strong systems knowledge with team, project, third party and stakeholder management.
You could have previously worked as a VMS Technical person or Systems Manager turned Project/Programme Manager or a technically knowledgeable Programme Manager who has previously managed an OpenVMS to Linux migration programme.
The client is looking to move completely off VMS (migrate the VMS environment and application code over to Linux) not just get off the old hardware and emulate.
- Someone that knows enough about VMS to understand what the client are moving from and also has experience of the target architecture (which is Linux, Cobol, Java (Eclipse) with Oracle backend DB).
- Background in VMS/OpenVMS but in recent years has moved to Project/Programme Management
- Experience of working with internal IT Teams and third party partners
- Previous experience with DCL Scripting
- Managed/ran a VMS to Linux programme/project previously
- Knowledge of pitfalls that can arise from a VMS migration
- Excellent all round VAX/VMS/OpenVMS system knowledge and experience
- Great Scripting experience Knowledge of Alpha Open VMS version 7.3 or above
- Stakeholder management
- Cluster configuration
- System security
- Performance Management
- DCL and/or High Level Language programming and troubleshooting.
- Excellent analytical and diagnostic skills for complex issues.
- Ability to visualize problems, identify and communicate likely causes, and develop effective solutions.
Desirable/Nice to have -
- Finance/Banking/insurance/other blue chip environment experience
- Knowledge/experience in Oracle systems/databases
- DECnet knowledge
- Capability of being hands-on (Big advantage)