Have you got fantastic drive and vision? Are you a creative individual who has a passion for creating events and activities that bring places to life? We’d love you to bring your skills to this stunning property. With engaging stories to tell, there’s always something to share with our visitors, and it will be you job to make sure we’re doing that all year round. This role will be known on site as the "Programming Officer" and plays a key part in shaping and delivering the experiences we offer our visitors across the year. Working closely with the Visitor Experience team you will develop an exciting and innovative programme of events, trails and large scale themes across the property that will bring Polesden's stories to life and create lasting memories for all our visitors.
What it's like to work here
It’s an exciting time to work at the celebrated Edwardian retreat of Polesden Lacey. New areas of the property have opened to the public, making this a year-round attraction with lots of opportunities within the team. The property boasts glorious views of the surrounding Surrey Hills, as well as an impressive art collection, manicured gardens and a large National Trust Shop. Colleagues have a great team spirit with close links to the local community. This picturesque property is just four miles outside of Dorking, however you're likely to need your own transport to get here.
Everything in the garden reflects Mrs. Greville's desire to impress her guests with lavish displays, garden tours are available through the day in summer and weekends in the winter.
What you'll be doing
As a Visitor Experience Officer, you’ll be responsible for the delivery of effective interpretation and engaging programming to deliver a year round offering of events at the property. Working alongside the Visitor Experience Manager, you’ll develop engaging and meaningful interpretation that can teach, move and inspire our visitors.
Understanding how and why we engage our supporters is key. Working with our spirit of place, you’ll work with the visitor welcome team to link everything we do back to our cause and the on-going work we do. You’ll deliver high standards of presentation at the property, and ensure all our communications with our visitors, from the first click on the website, to the posters and signs around the property are clear and consistent. As a champion of exceptional visitor experiences, you’ll join a high performing team and will regularly be involved in the duty management rota helping run the visitor operation.
Who we're looking for
It’s a significant role at a busy property and we need someone who can take on a challenge. To deliver this role successfully, you’ll need to have:
- A flexible customer focused approach, with high standards of customer service
- Excellent people skills, enabling strong relationships, both externally and internally
- Experience of working to multiple deadlines and managing own workload
- Outstanding organisation and planning skills, and a good eye for detail
- Understanding of the aims and ethos of the National Trust
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- A hard working approach, be committed and a team player
- Strong IT skills - Microsoft Office, as well as web and social media applications
- Experience of producing interpretation, marketing or promotional material
- Knowledge of relevant Health & Safety procedures
Looking after you
- Health cash plan - from as little as £2.81 per month for you and your dependents
- Pension contribution match up to 10%
- EAP and proactive Health and Wellbeing
- Discounted gym membership
Looking after your career
- Grow your career through professional training courses across the Trust
- Develop your skills with an internal secondment
- Pay review linked to values and behaviours, commitment to progression
- Income protection due to illness
Unique to Us
- Work in some of the most beautiful, iconic and unique locations in the UK
- Free entry to NT properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- 20% off in our retail and catering outlets
- Discount up to 35% off a National Trust holiday cottage booking
- Active Team Player
- People Skills
- Strong IT skills
- Customer focussed
- Organisation and planning