Job Title: UNIX/Linux Systems Administrator
Reporting to: UNIX Team Lead
Main Purpose of the Job
Working as part of a small technical team to provide technical expertise and support on UNIX/Linux servers for internal and customer systems. Work closely with the Professional Services Team to ensure effective delivery of UNIX/Linux related projects for existing and new customers.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Operating system and software administration, fault analysis and remediation on Advanced and client equipment across multiple UNIX & Linux operating systems and versions including but not limited to RHEL, CentOS, Solaris & HP-UX.
- Support the Pre-Sales & Sales teams to develop client solutions using suitable technology.
- Support the Professional Services team in the on boarding of new customers and new solutions for existing customers. This will involve taking a project from a design phase all the way through build to delivery and ongoing support.
- Controlled build, reconfiguration or upgrade work carried out under strict change control procedures.
- Creation, testing and maintenance of systems configuration and procedural documentation.
- Participate in the Advanced 24x7 on-call support rota.
- Application of OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis,
- Upgrade administrative tools and utilities.
- Conduct root cause problem investigations for infrastructure and application issues.
- Use of configuration management tools to ensure access and security across the managed estate.
- When required visit client sites for meetings or to resolve issues.
- The ideal candidate will bring with them/be:
- Proven experience of working as a UNIX/Linux Engineer in large and complex environments.
- The ability to manage complex and large-scale technical solutions.
- Excellent problem solving capabilities;
- The ability to work independently as well as part of team.
- Excellent organisation skills e.g. ability to prioritise and multi task, lead technical projects, and complete the project within defined timescales.
- A good decision maker and diligent in the execution of tasks.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- A willingness to learn and develop personal skills.
- A proactive approach to work and a willingness to help others use IT effectively.
- A willingness to mentor and teach more junior team members and assist in their development.
- The ability to own, prioritise and be responsible for own workload.
- Able to maintain professional standards at all times.
- Able to comply with the provisions of ISO27001 certification and the Company Security Policy in particular relating to system and data security
Knowledge and Experience
- Degree qualified or equivalent relevant experience.
- Strong knowledge of RHEL/CentOS 5/6/7 in an enterprise environment.
- Knowledge of HP-UX and Solaris.
- Knowledge of Orchestration/Configuration Management tools (e.g. Ansible, Chef, or Puppet)
- Experience in resolving BAU issues.
- Experience managing full application stacks from the OS up through custom applications
- Demonstrable experience in supporting and managing a large number of complex multi-server, multi-vendor, multi-technology infrastructures.
- Experience in progressing projects from technical design all the way through to delivery.
- Good understanding of the design and configuration of UNIX/Linux systems.
- Experience working with 3rd party vendors.
- Experience providing on call and out of hours support.
- Experience with software management – installations, patching of OS/apps etc.
- Experience with Virtualization ideally VMWare
- Knowledge of one or more scripting languages (e.g. Bash, Ruby, Python)
- Solid understanding of TCP/IP networking concepts and major protocols.
- Experience providing systems administration in a similar Managed Services environment.
- Experience with cloud technologies such as AWS or Microsoft Azure.
- Experience with containerisation such as Docker or similar.
- Experience with web technologies eg. Apache, HAProxy etc.
- An understanding of RDBMS databases particularly Oracle would be highly beneficial.
- Experience with network security - physical and software firewalls eg IPtables
- Experience with server monitoring ideally Zabbix.
- Experience configuring and managing MTAs eg. EXIM, Sendmail, Postfix.
Education / Qualifications
- RHCSA or RHCE desirable
- ITIL Foundation V3
Join the A Team
- Excellent benefits from day one: contributory pension, life insurance, income protection insurance, childcare voucher salary sacrifice, cycle to work scheme, and employee assistance programme
- 25 days holidays
- Special focus on training and development with the opportunity to excel your career from our internal Talent Development Team
- The ability to work with engaged colleagues who share a passion for solving business problems
- Working in an organisation that encourages 360 feedback at all levels
- Be part of an organisation that has recently been ranked by Deloitte in the Top 50 fastest growing tech Companies
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job