Birmingham, B3 2RT
QBE’s European Operations, which accounts for over 27% of QBE Group turnover, is a leading specialist in London market and European commercial lines business. Active in both the Lloyd’s and company market, QBE offers considerable diversity to the broking community. We are a socially responsible company and give our customers the ability to invest a portion of their premiums in environmentally and socially beneficial projects.
An opportunity has arisen for a dynamic, market facing, progressive underwriter to join the well established Casualty underwriting team. Based in Birmingham you will be required to underwrite business in accordance with the business plan and within delegated underwriting authority. You will already have strong, established relationships with brokers in the Midlands region and will be able to maintain and develop these further.
You will be responsible for an existing case list and will be required to retain business within retention plans, as well as grow the book through positive new business acquisition.
The business comprises of Employers and Public/Products Liability risks for a wide variety of trades providing high levels of capacity including multinational exposures.
You will need to be a forward thinking underwriter, knowledgeable in building bespoke programs for clients, with the ability to assess and interpret risk information as well as specific location data, applying relevant terms as appropriate.
You will need to be able to work both independently and within a team, collaborating with cross-class underwriters, sales colleagues and management in an environment where delivery of the business plan metrics is key.
Your responsibilities for this role may include, but are not limited to:
Meet business objectives, including:
- Underwrite insurance risks in accordance with the Business Plan and the personal authority to meet business objectives
- Build and maintain strong relationships with stakeholders including customers, brokers, business partners and colleagues, to maximise influence
- Develop relationships in line with the Business Plan to support the achievement of business objectives
- Understand and comply with QBE reinsurance strategy to minimise risk and deliver business plan objectives
- Participate fully and use your expertise to shape and develop strategy, knowledge and best practice
- Positively promote the department, division and company as a whole, in order to maximise brand leverage
- Comply with all legal and regulatory requirements to ensure obligations are met
- Adhere to underwriting standards, instructions and good practice to minimise risk and maximise efficiency
- Actively keep abreast of market dynamics and demonstrate market cycle awareness to be able to operate effectively and appropriately
- Ensure clear and prompt communication to Underwriting Assistants in relation to Underwriting and aggregate exposures ensuring entries on QBE systems are accurate
You will need to be able to display you have the following knowledge, skills and experience:
- Degree or equivalent qualification desired - e.g. ACII
- High quality experience gained within the insurance industry and good knowledge of Employers and Public/Products insurances
- Thorough knowledge of the Birmingham and local regional markets
- Excellent trading relationships with major brokers in the Midlands and South West region
- Experience in handling major UK & Multinational client insurance programmes
- Commercial ability to understand the key profit drivers to maximise long term wealth for our shareholders
- Intermediate level understanding of relevant software, including Excel and other departmental software packages
- Strong knowledge of legal and regulatory requirements
- A high level of numeracy and literacy
- Strong organisational and prioritisation skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- The ability to influence actions and attitudes of others through leading by example
- Strong negotiating skills
- Innovative in underwriting approach and programme design
- Ability to analyse data and use for decision-making
- Use of risk profiling and pricing tools and loss models
At QBE, we view our people as our most precious asset. We understand the importance of fostering a work environment that is responsive to the changing needs of today's workforce. QBE aims to build a workplace that is fair and inclusive because we want to attract and retain the best people to do the job.