Underwriter - Casualty
Underwriter - Casualty
Manchester, M2 2JT
QBE’s European Operations, which accounts for over 27% of QBE Group turnover, is a leading specialist in London market and European commercial lines business. Active in both the Lloyd’s and company market, QBE offers considerable diversity to the broking community. We are a socially responsible company and give our customers the ability to invest a portion of their premiums in environmentally and socially beneficial projects.
To specialise in Underwriting a wide range of mono-line Casualty risks, with a high degree of autonomy and authority. The successful applicant will have the opportunity to build deep relationships with our Broker and Client partners and work in one of the best, most flexible Casualty teams in the industry. This is a great opportunity to further your career.
Your responsibilities for this role may include, but are not limited to:
- Meet business objectives, including:
negotiating rates, terms and conditions for existing and new business, both primary and excess of loss (primary premiums ranging from £10,000 upwards to larger Corporate accounts £100,000+)
managing production and issue of contract certainty documentation
ensuring compliance with internal and external regulations and guidelines
ensuring contribution to the business plan and objectives
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with, brokers, customers and business partners to meet the team’s business plan. Role will be office based but will demand regular broker and client visits also.
- Be aware of the annual business plan for the portfolio and its context to be able to make decisions appropriately:
- Contribute, as required, to the planning process through research and project work
- Comply with all legal and regulatory requirements to ensure obligations are met
- Adhere to underwriting standards, instructions and good practice to minimise risk and maximise efficiency
- Develop a knowledge of market dynamics and market cycles to be able to operate effectively and appropriately
- Participate in the review and analysis of the portfolio to identify progress toward business objectives
- Contribute to the peer review processes to encourage and develop excellence
You will need to be able to display you have the following knowledge, skills and experience:
- Experience gained within Casualty insurance market
- ACII qualified or progress towards
- Intermediate level understanding of relevant software, including Excel and other departmental software packages
- Excellent knowledge of legal and regulatory requirements (specific reference to FCA/PRA/ Lloyds regulation)
- A high level of numeracy and literacy
- Excellent organisational and prioritisation skills
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent negotiating skills
- Ability to analyse data and use for decision-making
- Use of risk profiling and pricing tools and loss models
At QBE, we view our people as our most precious asset. We understand the importance of fostering a work environment that is responsive to the changing needs of today's workforce. QBE aims to build a workplace that is fair and inclusive because we want to attract and retain the best people to do the job. Search for QBE on Vercida to learn more about our Diversity and Inclusion programmes and policies.
Please click the 'Apply’ button to be taken to the job on our system.
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job