The JMK Trust is seeking a voluntary Treasurer to join our Board of Trustees.
In addition we are looking for new proactive Trustees, who have an interest in theatre, and knowledge or professional expertise in the following areas:
Arts Organisational development.
The JMK Trust was founded in memory of James Menzies-Kitchin, a promising theatre director who died unexpectedly at the age of 28. Since 1997 the Trust has discovered and nurtured a new generation of visionary young directors whose work and influence can be seen throughout the British theatre industry.
Our vision is that theatre directing in the UK should be open to all, and that diverse potential leaders should be identified and supported, irrespective of their background.
The JMK Award is an invaluable opportunity enabling its winner to direct a full-scale production with a 3-week production run at an acclaimed London theatre.
Our Regional Programme is delivered around the UK. We have set up groups for young and emerging directors at regional theatres; providing free access to workshops, training and networking opportunities and enabling people to engage with theatre directing where there are limited opportunities.
The Regional Assistant Director Bursary was launched to give regional emerging directors access to practical experience by assisting on a production at their local venue.
The JMK is refreshing its board as it moves into its 21st year with some particular challenges to meet over the next three years:
- To diversify its sources of income in order to financially sustain its work
- To revise its current staffing structure and their relationship to the board to ensure it is effectively staffed
- To increase its bursaries and Awards in line with real world costs
- To explore new homes for the JMK Award production
- To respond strategically to the growing nationwide demand for arts access opportunities, as well as current issues of representation in the theatre industry
- To keep pace with similar awards and opportunities to ensure the JMK remains unique and outstanding.
- Genuine commitment to and enthusiasm for the work of the JMK Trust and its mission - Understanding of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of a Trustee
- Willingness to put time and effort into the role
- Respected and trusted by other Trustees
- Good, independent judgement, impartiality, fairness and confidentiality
- Willingness to speak their mind
- Tact and diplomacy
- Respect for others
- Willingness to learn new skills
- Strategic vision Creative thinking
- Working effectively as a team member
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Relationship-building for influence
- An understanding and commitment to equality and diversity.