A TMS principal research analyst advises end-user clients on the best practices around the four phases: Strategy development, selection and evaluation of technology providers (e.g. RFPs), contracting and negotiating, and service management (transitions and performance).
The key activities performed include: Client advisory calls, writing research, presenting at Gartner events and supporting sales teams by visiting prospective clients to demonstrate Gartner subject-matter expertise. The desired subject-matter expertise includes – applications and best practices covering TMS, vehicle routing and scheduling, freight audit and payment, mobility, yard management, multicarrier parcel and regulatory issues impacting transportation. Emerging topics and technologies including artificial intelligence, autonomous vehicles, drones and machine learning will also become more important going forward.
What you’ll do:
- Writing research targeted at Logistics leaders that want to use best practices and technology to grow their business
- Providing guidance to clients on the telephone and video conference related to your research
- On-site delivery of strategic advice to clients about how to transform their business using best practices and technology
- Delivering presentations at Gartner and other events on your research area
- Participation in cross-Gartner research efforts
- Conduct research and analysis in all aspects of transportation related to manufacturing, retail and healthcare provider (USA) sectors
- Cover the specified area as well as applicable adjacent areas in at least one area of expertise, while maintaining a view across a broad spectrum of the market, to produce innovative, thought-leading, impactful, analytically-deep, fact-based research.
- Lead the research process by identifying critical questions facing Gartner clients and crafting appropriate research methods to address them. Provide in-depth analysis based on extensive client input and personal experience.
- Drive client demand for your personal analysis and presentations.
- Lead a body of research and be recognized in the industry as a subject matter expert i.e. develop a following.
- Create and deliver high-value presentations and other materials.
- Assist the Sales organization in selling and retention on best practices and trends in applications and business process outsourcing. Ability to demonstrate research value leading to successful sales.
- Provide high quality and timely research peer review. Provide mentorship and support team members.
- Lead or participate in research community meetings to discuss research issues and collaborate effectively with peers.
- Thought-leadership in establishing research positions across a team of analysts.
- Ability to provide focused one-day client consulting-style engagements as a research area expert.
- Credibility as an industry leader to represent Gartner research methodology and strategies.
- Bachelor's Degree and/or advanced professional qualification(s) in related field. Proven record of academic achievement at highest level. Master's Degree in related discipline an advantage.
- 6+ years of experience within transportation management.
- Demonstrate excellent analytical skills; applying conceptual models, recognizing patterns and drawing and defending conclusions. Strong business and financial acumen as well as analytical skills are required for this position
- The candidate must be a strategic and critical thinker, able to efficiently multitask, and to deliver high quality actionable advice on time through a variety of media. The candidate must demonstrate a self-motivated work ethic but also be collaborative within geographically diverse team environment. International experience is desired
- Experience with the best practices and issues facing end users (“clients”) when transportation management is mandatory, and adjacent experience is a nice to have.
- Articulate and succinct communication skills; ability to explain complex ideas effectively and presenting to large groups in workshops and conferences desired.
- Strong project planning and management skills with a strong team-working ethos.
- Collaborative: experienced providing service and collaborating with global colleagues
- Organized - skilled at multitasking, prioritizing and working under tight deadlines and high volume
- Confident – able to make sound decisions on projects with minimum supervision
- Detail oriented - skilled at recognizing and troubleshooting errors