Transport Team Leader - CPC Qualified
Our DS Smith site in Glasgow is currently seeking a Transport Team Leader to take responsibility for the management of the depot’s transport operation and associated work streams.
The role holder will assist the Business Manager in directing and controlling all transport and appropriate commercial matters in such a manner as to deliver the Company’s operational strategy and objectives without compromising standards in respect of people, plant, machinery and transport. You will also assist the Business Manager in ensuring the Company’s strategy, objectives and policies are effectively communicated, paying particular attention to all matters related to Health and Safety.
The role will have responsibility for decision-making affecting distribution efficiency through minimising the impact of any changes to original schedules and communicating these with the relevant personnel.
You will support the Business Manager and existing team Leaders in organising and implementing the transport activity at the depot and the out-based activities to the highest standard, in line with the Company objectives, Health & Safety regulations and any other relevant legal requirements. This position will also deputise for the Business Manager in their absence alongside the Production Team Leader.
You will be a team player. You will provide instruction & direction to company drivers, particularly on issues affecting departure times, customer delays, customer requirements and waste collections. You will provide support to help deal with vehicle and trailer breakdowns through communication with the relevant service providers. You will have a pro-active approach to problem solving and be able to identify the application of systems and/or innovation to provide solutions. Experience of transport planning and supervisor/co coordinator experience is required.
You will be comfortable with accurately entering detail into computer systems and generating reports from the input data.
With this in mind, the successful candidate will be required to:
• To lead and motivate the team.
• Chair team briefings, performance hub sessions and toolbox talks
• To be able to communicate effectively to all levels within the business
• Agreeing standards of performance with Business Manager. Communicate key performance indicators and then monitor and challenge shortfalls
• Ensure that all depot employees fully understand and are committed to their objectives and responsibilities
• Ensure that all depot processes and procedures are effectively managed.
• To promote and assist in implementation of all company initiatives
• Promote and demonstrate Core Company Values at all times
• Control the service and maintenance schedule of all road fleet so they remain legally compliant and roadworthy at all times
• Keep damage costs to a minimum and ensure all damage is reported and repairs are carried out expediently
• Ensure compliance with Duty of Care legislation and have a comprehensive working knowledge of waste carriers licence & waste transfer notes
• Identify opportunities and work to continuously improve added value in the business and minimise waste (non-value add activities)
• Monitor and control stocks of consumables to ensure transport operations are not disrupted and costs are managed within budget
• To work closely and effectively communicate with the Production operation. To be able to deputise when required.
• Manage road fleet and drivers to remain compliant with all legislation and internal policies to protect the business operating licence
You must be available for contact to deal with out of hours activity as and when required.
• You must be PC literate.
• You will agree standards, enforcing & monitoring them & challenging shortfalls.
• The ability to lead and motivate individuals and small teams.
• Be able to communicate appropriately at all levels and hand over effectively.
• The ability to report in a timely and appropriate manner.
• Flexibility is key in this role
• Have experience of the European Working Time Directive and Drivers Hours legislation
• A working knowledge of ERP systems
About DS Smith...
DS Smith is a leading supplier of recycled packaging, both within the UK market and throughout Europe. A FTSE 100 listed business with a turnover in excess of £4.8 billion. The organisation employs over 27,000 people worldwide & is continuing to grow both organically & through acquisition.
Salary: Up to £31,000
•25 days holiday plus Bank Holidays
•Annual cycle to work scheme
- Team Leader