Trainee Pre-Contract Surveyor Estimator
We are currently seeking to recruit a Trainee Pre-Contract Surveyor/Estimator to work in our main Head Office in Forest Row, East Sussex.At Rydon, our aim is to improve local communities - through housing, healthcare and education solutions - for the benefit of current and future generations. We build homes, schools and hospitals as well as extra care facilities, student accommodation, community leisure centres and more. By doing so, we are delivering award-winning, quality facilities built for local communities with a commitment from people who are passionate about what they do.
Rydon's trainee scheme allows our teams to earn whilst they learn - it's a great scheme to pick up new practical skills whilst developing a formal, recognised qualification. Furthermore, Rydon will pay your college/further education fees and help you in securing a qualification whilst working in your chosen field.
This exciting role sits within our Estimating Department and supports our teams in determining how much projects/builds are likely to cost. You will learn and assist in measurement of the bills of quantities, verify supporting information including structural and civil engineering designs, measurement of quantities of cost plans and much more.
What is a Pre-Contract Surveyor?
A pre-contract surveyor works out exactly how much our projects cost to construct (pre-contract - ie, as part of our tenders/proposals process). They ensure the proposed build scheme is value for money for a client and meets all relevant legal and quality standards.
So how does the trainee scheme work?
As a Trainee Pre-Contract Surveyor, you will be assigned a mentor, who will work with you to develop your on the job experience. You will work directly within one of our teams, learning Rydon's approach to pre-contract surveying/estimating. At the same time, you will study part time (usually on a day release to college basis) and your mentor will support you in your college/further education through providing advice practical tips to help you succeed in attaining an industry recognised qualification and a long term career at Rydon.
What does a typical trainee scheme at Rydon entail?
The exact traineeship and route your learning takes will depend very much on your current education. Examples of how we will develop your learning and experience include:
- If you join us with A-Levels/BTEC equivalent, we would look to enhance your learning through an HNC Route or even a degree route
- If your learning style is more vocational, we could support your development with a more traditional apprentice route (resulting in a recognised qualification).
Your learning journey is in your hands and Rydon will work with you to advise the best learning route to meet your longer term aspirations. Whichever route you take, you can be sure that Rydon will provide some of the industry's best on the job training and development - you're in great hands. Whilst you learn, you will be working on a range of projects, and supporting the team in the successful financial closure of these projects. You will learn practical pre-contract surveying skills through working closely with a mentor and being part of a successful team.
On the job training:
You will receive training in the following:
- 'Take off' measurement procedures
- Use of estimating and measurement software
- Use of groundworks 'cut and fill' software
- General training in estimating and pre-contract surveying
- General training in different areas of construction, such as surveying, buying and site management
- Appropriate health and safety training.
To be considered for this exciting opportunity you will need to meet the following criteria:
- To meet our apprentice selection criteria, you will need to have a minimum of GCSE (grade C/Level 4 or above) in Maths and English.
- If you already hold A-Levels, NVQ or even HNC in a construction discipline at grade C (or equivalent) level, you will qualify to be considered for our core trainee opportunities.
In addition you'll need to be inquisitive by nature, be confident and happy to work with lots of different people and be looking for a long term career in construction. Good computer skills (particularly Word and Excel) are a must along with a keen eye for detail.
If this sounds like you, we would strongly encourage you to apply.
To apply online, please use the 'apply for this job link' at the top of this page to be redirected to Rydon's dedicated careers website to complete your application.