Harvey McQueen are excited to present a fantastic job opportunity for a Trainee Loss Assessor / Claims Technician. Our client specialise in loss assessing services within the fire and flood insurance sector. Due to reputation and demand for our clients’ services, they are looking to expand their team. Full Training will be provided.
The office is based in Bolton. The ideal candidate will live within the Warrington / Cheshire and the surrounding areas.
Please Note: Our client cover from Northumberland / top of Cumbria down to Cambridge and Gloucester. This job role will involve a lot of travelling (approx. 500-700 miles per week).
- Be the client’s main point of contact throughout their insurance claim following a severe fire, flood or impact damage at their property.
- Where necessary, arrange emergency works, temporary accommodation and interim contents payments to the client.
- Meet loss adjusters, building surveyors, building contractors, restoration companies, forensic investigators and other professionals as necessary in order to progress the claim on behalf of the client.
- In some claims, where a building surveyor is not appointed, prepare the building specification to be agreed/negotiated with the loss adjuster.
- In all cases, prepare and validate the contents claim for the client - this means proving what the contents item cost the client to buy.
- Update the client on a regular basis via telephone, email or face to face meeting as necessary.
- Negotiate a settlement of the building claim and contents claim with the loss adjuster to the satisfaction of the client. It is imperative to get the best settlement for the client!!
- Distribute all monies paid from the claim from client account to relevant parties in line with FCA requirements.
Necessary attributes for a successful candidate:
- Full driving licence. We carry out work from the north east down to the midlands and into Cambridge and Gloucester so there is a good amount of travelling involved.
- Flexibility - this is not a 9-5 role. The office is based in Bolton where you will be based but as mentioned above your day will consist of appointments and typically you will spend 3 out of 5 days on the road travelling. In some cases you may need to leave the house at 6am to make a 9 am appointment and 12/13 hour days are not unusual. If you have no appointments you will be expected at the Bolton office between the hours of 9am and 5pm.
- There may be a requirement to stay out 1 or 2 nights per week, on occasion, depending on the location of the claims you are servicing.
- Strong negotiation skills - we are expected to get the best possible deal for the client and this means negotiation with the insurance companies loss adjuster which is not always an easy task
- Willingness to learn - you must learn how to draw up a building specification for remedial works following the damage. There are also a lot of technicalities on insurance policies that insurers will use to try to get out of paying a claim. We have to have knowledge to know how to argue these points and get the best for our client
- Excellent organisation skills and ability to work under pressure - you will be handling up to 30 claims at any one time, ranging from £15,000 to £250,000. You must be well organised and be calm under pressure.
- A desire to progress - although loss assessing is a niche market, this is a long term career prospect which if successful with, you will be rewarded by excellent pay and benefits.
- Starting salary of £20k
- Plus company vehicle
- Rising to £25k after 6 months probationary period
- Once you start to handle your own claims, you will be eligible to earn commission
- Typically fully trained can look to earn between £35-40k per year
If this role interests you, don't delay apply immediately...................... For further details please call Michelle Barrett at Harvey McQueen Recruitment.