Contract Type: Permanent
We are responsible for operating, maintaining and improving England’s motorways and major A roads. Consider that a third of all traffic, two thirds of heavy goods vehicles, and 98% of UK businesses rely on them, and you can see why our roads, and what we do, matters so much. It’s an exciting time to begin a career with Highways England as we invest £11 billion in our motorways and A Roads boosting capacity, tackling congestion and improving safety which is why we’re so grateful to our c 4,500 employees around the country. When you work with us, you're helping to connect communities, sustain business and support the economy. And with responsibility for major projects, working here is also a great move for your career.
We are currently recruiting for On Road Traffic Officers to be based at the following outstation
Chieveley Outstation, Reading RG2 8TH
You will provide a customer focused service through effective management of the strategic road network as part of a team by dealing with the management of incidents such as road traffic collisions, removal of debris and other unplanned events.
Starting salary for this position will be £21,505 per annum plus 20% shift allowance and £1,000 retention allowance after 9 months’ salary will raise to £22,637 plus 20% shift allowance and £ 1,000 retention.
Day to day
- Working on the strategic road network you will respond and resolve incidents using safe and timely action which could include deploying traffic management and work collaboratively with colleagues, emergency services and other responders.
- Work within a team to contribute proactively and achieve required performance targets.
- Communicate using a range of technologies including radio and mobile telephony to provide accurate and timely scene updates to colleagues, partners, stakeholders and customers
- Take personal responsibility for the safety of self and others by reporting and acting on any potentially unsafe activities or conditions
- Maintain records of vehicles and equipment
- Hold a full valid UK driving licence for 2 years with no more than 3 points on your licence (at the time of sending in your application)
- Live within one hour's commutable distance of the vacancy location,
- Experience of motorway driving
- Knowledge of and experience of contributing to safety in the work place
- Provide and deliver a high quality customer service
- Self-Motivated Team Player
- Experience of successfully working unsupervised
For further information and to apply please go to