A global leader has a need for a Test Technician in the testing and certification of products, processes and systems for safety, quality, health, environmental and social accountability standards. Specifically, you will be responsible for the testing and certification of vehicle engines and components for durability, calibration, catalyst, fuel and lubricant issues. Working in a state-of-the-art facility, your work will include engine rigging, fitting, testing and general engineering tasks on vehicles in the workshop. In addition you will work on high profile performance projects by following testing and certification instructions from the engineering team.
Applications from ex-military personnel (British Army, Royal Air Force, Royal Navy and Royal Marines) are strongly encouraged.
- Conduct tests on vehicles, engines or components in line with project requirements and to ensure tests conform to customer instructions
- Select and execute test and development activities, including reporting, to meet the objectives of the project
- Comply with the relevant Health and Safety procedures
- Use of suitable hand and power tools for manual tasks
- Use of computer based testing systems
- Provision of adequate information to other test technicians and relevant personnel to ensure smooth shift handovers
- Ensure that all testing meets the requirements of the engineering team
- Maintain test bed files and complete relevant forms, data sheets and test bed logs
- Assist in the resolution of customer complaints, recommending and coordinating appropriate corrective and preventive management actions
- Assist in the investigation and implementation of departmental efficiency improvements
- Identify and highlight quality problems and help to find solutions using accepted processes
- Ensure all test bed instrumentation used is calibrated
- Liaise with Maintenance to ensure that any plant, equipment or instrumentation used on projects is fit for purpose
- Identify issues and/or faults as they arise and provide initiative for potential solutions
The ideal person will be a team player who is also a flexible self-starter and able to motivate themselves and others. This person will have an eye for detail, use own initiative and strive for excellence at all times. You must be prepared to work to a shift pattern, which may include one week on an early shift and one week on a later shift with weekend overtime available.
Knowledge, skills and qualifications required:
- City & Guilds/ONC or equivalent in an engineering related discipline
- Minimum two years’ experience of working with petrol and/or diesel engines having been based at a vehicle manufacturer, independent specialist or engine management system OEM
- Practical knowledge of vehicle systems
- Proven vehicle and/or engine fitting skills
- Welding/fabrication (not essential)
- PC literate
To be discussed at interview stage but includes Life Assurance and Contributory Pension Scheme.