For: Test Engineer
Salary: GBP32000 to GBP35000 per annum
Meyer Scott Ref: VR/06063
Our client is a worldwide market leader in the field of optical devices, materials technology and organic electronics. Initially a spin out from a world renowned consultancy, the company have gone from strength the strength and have now been one of the front runners in the successful application of innovative and leading technology solutions in the field of substrate/surface and flexible electronic solutions
Summary of the role
To develop electronic thin film devices with a particular focus on developing sensors suitable for gas sensing.
To devise and evaluate new device architectures and gas sensor systems containing printable materials
In essence this role will be to generate ideas and further widen the application space of technologies in the scope of sensor systems.
Key Results Area
Due to the ever evolving nature of the business, the role as a lot of scope. See below just a summary of some of the tasks and challenges you will face:
· Design and execute experiments to evaluate the performance and stability of organic semiconductor materials and devices.
· In conjunction with other team members, design and execute experiments to build sensor devices for the purpose of sensing the presence of and quantifying the concentration of gases.
· With an excellent understanding of the fundamental device operation mechanisms you will be involved in analysing results, making suggestions for improvement and executing tweaks and modifications.
· Compile and disseminate technical reports on a regular basis, outlining the key results and progress made against plans.
· Support the work being conducted in the team on implementing technologies into functional demonstrators and prototypes. Maintain awareness of the importance of the integration of processes and pro-actively propose adaptations to technologies accordingly.
· Actively participate in activities to generate and expand the clients Intellectual Property (IP) portfolio.
· Characterise devices using relevant test equipment and to develop novel techniques and systems to improve understanding and capabilities.
· Characterise new materials in devices using a wide range of standard and novel techniques.
· Fabricate devices in the cleanroom and laboratory facilities following standard procedures and working practices. Devise new procedures where appropriate.
· Identify new approaches and architectures for novel organic electronic devices that will expand CDTs IP portfolio and potentially contribute to future revenues. Generate and keep records of new Intellectual Property.
· Develop and maintain equipment for characterisation of the properties of organic electronic devices.
· Maintain an awareness of the requirements for commercialisation of new technologies, including the complexity of processing and issues involved in production.
What are we looking for?
· PhD or equivalent relevant experience in Physics or Engineering, is required.
· Experience of conducting scientific research in the field of semiconductor, printed or organic device electronics is required.
· Experience of working in multi-party cross discipline teams is required.
· Experience of the deposition and characterisation of thin films via surface analysis and electrical characterisation techniques and correlating film properties to device performance is necessary.
· Experience of surface analysis methods such as optical, atomic force and/or scanning electron microscopy is desirable.
· Experience of device fabrication in cleanroom environments would be an advantage.
· Experience of gas sensor technologies, including the development of enhanced performance and stability gas sensor devices would be a distinct advantage.
· Enthusiastic, inventive and an aptitude for experimental work is essential. Good problem-solving and organisation skills are required.
· An ability to maintain confidentially of highly sensitive data is essential.
· An understanding of the particular demands of target-driven industrial research, and the ability and willingness to work towards critical deadlines is required.
· Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate effectively at all levels and the ability to report back results accurately and in a timely manner are essential.
· Good team-playing skills and the ability to operate in multi-disciplinary/cross-functional teams is necessary.
· An ability to demonstrate an adaptable and flexible approach to work in a dynamic and changing environment is essential.
return we can offer an excellent package including childcare vouchers, Pension, Life assurance and Health insurance.