We're one of the UK's largest and fastest-growing software and IT services companies, delivering a range of solutions to our 20,000+ customer base across every corner of the UK market.
The Technology Lead – Desktop Services, will be responsible for delivering Desktop Services across our company and for our customers. You will lead a team of circa 25 people supporting our U.K. customer base and 2,200+ of our staff across numerous sites in the UK and India on a 7x24-x365 basis.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
This is a key Strategic role with an Operational overview; your remit will cover all aspects of Advanced’s Desktop Services. Physical and virtual desktops for internal and external clients with a particular focus on:
- Ownership - As we move to Desktop as a Service and converged infrastructure we are looking for a skilled technologist to own, define and deliver the desktop product. This includes delivering a Desktop Roadmap, Defining the Tooling, Setting the Standards and building the Automation.
- Leadership - Your team will provide cost effective engineering and 7x24x365 operational support of our Desktop services. Leveraging our key vendor technologies, Microsoft, Citrix XenApp, Citrix XenDesktop and VMWare Horizon.
- Direction - The Technology Lead for Desktop Services will provide the direction to enable our Desktop Team or Desk Side Engineers to deliver excellent proactive support to all internal and external clients. This includes implementing best practices and repeatable processes to improve stability and availability. Managing and maintaining Desktop and end user devices through technologies such as SCCM and InTune.
- Security – This is a key focus which underpins everything we do and Technology Lead for Desktop will be expected to review desktop security controls, identify potential threats and weakness. This includes providing automated processes for patch management and protecting the confidentiality, integrity and availability of our clients’ data.
- Compliance – ensure compliance to relevant standards (e.g. ISO 27001, 9001) and provision of systems to control, adequately measure and handle the risks the business faces for the Desktop technology stack.
- Colleagues – The Technology Lead for Desktop Services will manage and develop the Desktop team, define the training and development plan. This will include improving the overall knowledge of the systems, infrastructure and processes; we aim to promote from within where possible. You’ll need to ensure that the team delivers outstanding service and meets or exceeds the agreed SLA’s with all customers.
- Budgets – You will have input into the annual Capex & Opex Budget and then be required to run and deliver to the agreed budget. You will review and optimise current costs and achieve cost saving though agree means such as consolidation.
- Business Continuity – develop documentation, build test procedures and define resources to deliver service continuity in the event of a loss of Desktop services.
- Licensing and asset management – working with Asset Management team you ensure effective controls are implemented and developed to provide an excellent asset and licence management service
- Team Management - Ensure the teams manage their respective ITSM queues and actively provide support and mentorship for the Technicians, which includes effectivity resolving P1 and P2 incidents on 7 x 24 hour basis and adhere to ITIL best practise including Problem Management
- Design Authority – Actively participate in the Technical Design Authority; a forum of your peers defining and driving standards to Manage and Optimise the Services.
- Cooperation & Teamwork - Work closely with Pre-Sales, Implementation Resources and Project Managers to on-board new clients through the defined Service Take on process.
You'll be a strong leader in a specialist technology field and are excited by the challenge of working in a high-performing, fast-growing technical environment, supporting a diverse range of technical users.
You will be able to demonstrate:
- Be the complete Advocate for your Technology Tower
- Demonstrable previous experience of implementing and supporting large-scale Desktop environments within a Managed Service Provider environment or large Business.
- Strong technical Desktop expertise along with leadership and communication skills, to improve the delivery of Desktop service. Communicating effectively to all stakeholders on a regular basis.
- A practical understanding of gathering business requirements & scoping relevant solutions.
- The ability to scope, define & provide solutions across a broad scope of diverse Desktop technologies. Display effective skills to communicate with the leadership community, third-party Suppliers and internal / external technical teams.
- Strong consultancy skills and the capacity to be an excellent motivator in order to meet deadlines and handle change.
- Use resources to best advantage, by collaborative working with all Team Leaders, Technology Leads and Professional Services Resource Management
- Setting the behavioural & performance standards. Energizing your team
- Deal positively with change & uncertainty
- To work on projects and initiatives as directed by the Director of Operations to support changes or opportunities in the division and wider business