Technical Surveyor / Desktop Surveyor
£30-40k plus benefits
Our client is a multinational and industry leading company that specialises in property repairs following insurance claims. They have a new role available for an experienced surveyor / technical building professional for a role based in Essex - near Brentwood.
This will involve reviewing and approving variations, checking contractor schedules and estimates, acting as a point of expertise and referral to colleagues and external contractors as well as managing the handling of any related queries from clients and suppliers. There will also be auditing responsibilities; schedules, job files and costs/adjustments.
This is mainly an office-based position although there will be regular travel to other company offices, sub-contractor’s offices and for site visits on occasion.
This role will be to act a technical liaison within the company, reviewing contractor estimates & schedule of works for property repairs - ensuring they are technically correct and comply with the relevant industry standards (building regulations, Health & Safety etc.) as well as carrying out audits and quality checks. You will be producing estimate revisions / variations and liaising with a network of contractors to obtain appropriate estimate corrections.
This will role will also see you getting involved with various technical and commercial projects and you will have the opportunity to assist in the growth of this team taking on a leadership role as the team expands.
In this Technical Surveyor / Estimator role you will have the following responsibilities:
- Reviewing the repair estimates that come in from a network of contractors to ensure they are technically accurate and meet appropriate industry guidelines and standards for repair (building and health & safety regulations etc.).
- Ensuring appropriate file documentation is included for completion and verifying its accuracy during the process.
- Verifying that suppliers are making appropriate use of estimating software and pricing database.
- Validating proposed repairs - ensuring accuracy based upon knowledge of construction standards and practices as well as client requirements.
- Producing estimate revision requests / variations and liaising with the network contractors (both verbally and in wiring) to obtain appropriate estimate corrections.
- Reviewing supplemental repair estimates received for technical accuracy and adherence to industry standards.
- Carrying out quality control reviews and acting as technical liaison to colleagues and third parties (client’s, suppliers, contractors)
- Reporting to the Regional Contractor Manager to highlight any contractor compliance matters.
- Providing leadership as a senior member as the team expands
- Involvement with adhoc technical and commercial projects within the business
The successful Surveyor / Estimator will need to have the following:
- Technical Building expertise / knowledge
- Experience in interpreting and creating accurate schedules of work
- Understanding / experience of using schedule of rates
- Experience in reviewing and verifying estimates of repair
- Ideally a building/construction related qualification, membership or professional trade background
- Strong communication skills and experience in dealing with tradesmen and contractors
- Excellent interpersonal skills and people management attributes
- Excellent analytical and decision-making ability in order to analyse information/problems correctly and make good and timely decisions
- Excellent problem-solving ability in order to recognise difficulties and take the appropriate steps to address the issues.
- Strong dispute and resolution handling skills in order to deal with complaints effectively and proactively
- Excellent attention to detail and organisational skills
- Supervisory / staff management experience would be advantageous (but not essential)
This role will suit someone who is looking to progress into a supervisory / management role as there are likely to be opportunities for progression / team development going forward.
This company offers excellent benefits and career prospects.
We may not always be able to reply to every applicant due to the volume of CVs received so if you have not received a call within 5 working days please assume that you have not been successful with this Surveyor role on this occasion. However, we may keep your CV on file in case we have a more suitable position in the future.
- Quality Control