TECHNICAL SALES ENGINEER - Sheffield
Due to market growth, our client has identified that the appointment of a dynamic and technically orientated Technical Sales Engineer is now required to provide strategic sales direction in key sectors for the business. The role will be based at our clients premises in Sheffield, although a degree of travel through out the UK, and Internationally can be expected.
The Technical Sales Engineer will be given a high degree of autonomy and the scope of the role is expected to grow with time. There will be close liaison with the Sales Director,, including the development of a successful sales strategy. The person most suited to this role will be someone who is both technically experienced and commercially astute.
The company operates in a highly professional manner and encourages a culture with high integrity.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
This role reports to the Sales Director supported by an Administrator. You will liaise closely with all departments and take an holistic approach to the needs of the company in order to maximise opportunities, turnover, profit and utilisation of resources.
Contracts are of varying complexity can typically range from £250 to £1.5m in value.
You will be responsible for the management of accounts in our clients road trailer, stock cylinder and aerospace departments. Responsibility will encompass the region of France, particularly in the naval market and you will be required to provide sales support when needed in other areas.
You will be required to liaise with all internal departments of the business as well as external customers and suppliers to follow contracts through from initial costing & tender phase through to final dispatch.
You will also have responsibility for business development within the areas through growing the customer base as well as looking at new products, services and markets.
* Create and submit technical scopes of work, quotation and proposal for our clients Trailer business.
* Conduct upfront technical feasibility studies in conjunction with customer, and internal Technical departments.
* Confer with customers to assess product needs and determine requirements.
* Construct cost build ups through internal departments and external suppliers. Typical trailer value £200k.
* To work closely with Technical Manager, to ensure all aspects of product and regulatory compliance are met.
* Ensure specifications and customer requirements are identified and met throughout the manufacturing process and inspection points.
* Liaison with design department to produce most cost effective techno-commercial solution
* Liaison with customer/Internal Production to manage individual contracts.
* Provide a positive interface between the customer and the business, escalating any issues to the attention of the senior management team.
* Identification of new markets and opportunities for our clients products and services.
* In conjunction with the senior management team, formulate marketing plans that are integrated with the overall business strategies.
* Arrange face to face visits and networking opportunities in line with the marketing plans
* To engage with customers on contract negotiations.
* Receipt of enquiries and preparation of tenders
* Processing of sales orders (Supported by internal administration function).
* Preparation of data for monthly sales reports,
* Preparation of data for sales budgets.
* Preparation of costings and price lists.
* Chairing contract review meetings.
* Monitor customer satisfaction feedback and address any issues.
SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES
* Your commercial and financial acumen will be strong and you will relish the opportunity to take ownership and contribute to a thriving business.
* Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings and customer requirements.
* Experience of compliance to international standards.
* Knowledge of relevant international standards would be an advantage, for example ISO 11120, ADR 2000. This is not essential as training will be given.
* Ideally you will have experience of the oil and gas, industrial gases or aerospace sector, their market drivers and their activities.
* Ability to work in a diverse and dynamic environment .
* A broad understanding of contract and commercial conditions.
* Planning and prioritising activities .
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills .
* Ability to present data effectively .
* Strong ethics: work honestly and with integrity.
* Self-motivated and results driven.
* Clean driving licence.
* Ideally with experience in a customer facing / business development role.
* A background in technically engineered products.
* ONC/HNC in Engineering, Materials or Science based subject.
* Experience in engineering or manufacturing environment.
* Computer literate.
* Commercially aware.
* Well organised
You will be joining a thriving company in which ideas are not only valued but actively encouraged. It can offer you the opportunity to have a major influence on direction and performance and to visibly contribute towards future success. You will experience fast decision making without the encumbrance of long chains of command. You will also gain a broad appreciation of all aspects of a business which will prepare you for promotion.