Technical Officer - Trade Association Representing Domestic Appliance Manufacturers
A Technical Officer is required to work for a well-established trade body that represents suppliers of domestic appliances to the UK market. This body is AMDEA.
AMDEA is the UK trade association for manufacturers of domestic appliances. Our members produce and distribute consumer and commercial appliances across laundry, drying, refrigeration, floor care, heating and cooling and small appliances. Our members represent over 80% of the UK domestic appliance market, rising to 95% for large white goods. Our role is to represent our members’ interests and objectives in all matters relating to their trading activities within the UK.
Domestic appliances have always needed to comply with a wide range of laws and standards that specify technical requirements concerning environmental and other matters so that they can be CE marked, but as the UK departs the EU this situation will become even more complex. We need somebody who can assist our members to understand this regulatory landscape, both now and as it evolves.
The Technical Officer is a key member support resource. The Technical Officer is required to lead work relating to the review, creation, revision and maintenance of industry regulation and standards for domestic appliances. The role requires working closely with Government departments and industry stakeholders to represent our members’ interests in shaping policy, regulation and standards that meet the future needs of our industry.
Communicating effectively with our members will be essential. This will involve both discovering potential changes in the regulatory and standardisation landscape and then explaining the possible consequences of these changes to both engineers and product managers. Gathering this information will involve participating in discussions with our European partners, UK government officials and standards bodies (e.g. ISO/IEC, CEN/CENELEC & BSI). But gathering information is only the start: we will also expect you to understand the wishes of our members and then communicate these to external stakeholders.
In particular, we are looking for applicants knowledgeable in product conformity requirements for environmental and performance matters: you are likely to be qualified to at least BSc level in a commensurate subject.
- Take responsibility for leading on matters relating to UK and EU standards and regulation for domestic appliances, both large and small.
- Take full ownership of a portfolio of product groups as the AMDEA lead contact for all technical matters relating to conformity and performance.
- Ensure actions are taken within the required deadlines.
- Ensure that all incoming data of a technical nature is processed and circulated to member companies promptly so that their views can be represented.
- Write responses to consultations and calls for input. Create content for newsletters, website and publications.
- Maintain a close and regular dialogue with member company representatives to ensure their active participation in group activities.
- Represent the views of AMDEA members on technical matters at standards meetings and with government departments and other bodies.
- Attend meetings both nationally and internationally to represent members interests relating to the review, creation and updating of standards and regulation for a given set of product categories.
- Organise meetings of AMDEA Panels dealing with particular issues.
- Deal with enquiries from AMDEA Members; government agencies and from other stakeholders.
- Assist in the preparation of meetings in outside bodies where AMDEA holds a secretariat/ chairperson position.
Knowledge and Experience
- Technical experience and competency in a consumer electrical environment.
- An understanding of Standards and Regulation detail and process relating to domestic appliances
- Excellent communication skills (written & verbal). The ability to extract pertinent information from technical documents and to explain them in clear and concise English to both technical and non-technical people.
- Relationship management
- Strong organisational, planning and prioritising skills
- Good ICT skills
- Track record of working on detailed proposals with competing demands and responding to tight deadlines.
- Ability to work alone, with minimal supervision as well as part of a team.
- Attention to detail
- Problem solving
- Communicating and influencing
- Developing and managing collaborative relationships, internally and externally
- Planning and organising
- Quality results orientation
- Customer service orientation
- Creativity and innovation
- Flexibility and adaptability
The role requires occasional travel, both within the UK and Internationally. There is a requirement for occasional overnight stays away from home. Your normal place of work will be AMDEA’s London office. The role allows for an element of home-based/ flexible working.
AMDEA is an equal opportunities employer. All applications will be given equal consideration. Please note the appointment is subject to successful pre-employment screening i.e. UK right to live and work, references and medical screening.
Applicants are requested to send a CV along with a covering letter, describing your suitability for the role.
Due to current Covid-19 restrictions it is likely that initial interviews will be via video conferencing. The role is likely to require home working whilst Government restrictions on travel and social distancing remain in place.
AMDEA is not able to respond to every applicant. If you have not heard from us within 2 weeks, you should assume that your application has not been successful.
- Government Agencies
- Regulatory Affairs
- Regulatory Standards
- Technical Standards
Bank or payment details should never be provided when applying for a job. For information on how to stay safe in your job search, visit SAFERjobs.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'