Job Title: Technical Manager
Department: Product Development
Reports to: Director of Product Development
Direct Reports: Technical Customer Services and Product Engineering Teams
Reporting to the Director of Product Development, the Technical Manager will be responsible for the management of the Technical Customer Support (TCS) and Product Engineering functions based in Welwyn Garden City.
The Technical Manager will be responsible for the evaluation and top level assessment of customers (internal and external) technical queries and will ensure that the team are delivering concise, professional and technically correct responses to enquiries in line with customer’s expectations and to pre-set lead times that promote us as a caring and supportive business.
The Technical Manager is responsible for the conclusion of support cases and will work with the Director of Product Development to establish a budget for resolution of claims and close cases to ensure customers are suitably reimbursed and without leaving the brands in question.
The Technical Manager will be required to develop and implement improvements and processes to ensure that the department is effective, productive and responsive. Keeping and recording data to monitor departmental effectiveness is key to ensure that metrics are reported to assess performance and trends in product queries.
DUTIES AND RESPONSILITIES
- Collate and manage information relating to faulty products from Technical Customer Support, Quality Assurance and Returns Departments to identify product improvements to reduce faults and returns. Communicate with suppliers to resolve issues.
- Run the weekly Quality meeting to discuss and resolve current quality issues.
- Assist in recommending new methods of manufacture, assembly and new product features/improvements of Aurora products to help increase sales, reduce costs and improve quality.
- To review customer complaints on products and to liaise and feed these back into Product Development to ensure any fundamental changes are enacted on.
- To ensure that the Technical Customer Support team are suitably trained and up-to-date with new products prior to product launches.
- Visit customer sites as required to assist in resolving technical issues and complaints.
- Offer outstanding support to other Group functions - Sales, Product Development, Product Engineering.
- To develop and be an integral link between Technical Customer Support, Product Engineering, Product Marketing and Product Development.
- Liaise with other departments including Group companies to ensure pertinent information is communicated in a timely and consistent fashion.
- Management of TCS co-ordinators workload to ensure that customer queries are acted on and responded and closed within a timely manner.
- Manage the Technical Customer Support Team including such aspects as attendance, performance, conduct, dress code, etc.
- To report weekly to the Director of Product Development on any employee and product issues as well as major decisions made.
- Manage engineering change requests to existing products with our suppliers.
- Manage Special Products and sourcing/fabrication of products with local suppliers.
- Evaluate competitor products from a Technical perspective and compare with products. Feed information into Product Marketing and Product Development.
- Recommend improvements to existing systems or new systems, policies and procedures.
- Train and develop team members as required.
- Keep up-to-date with current market trends.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of five years of experience in a leadership role in customer service or technical support for lighting products.
- Numerate with an excellent understanding of lighting principles and electrical technology.
- Strong customer service experience within the commercial and environmental lighting industry.
- Expert-level experience and capabilities in implementing and managing CRM applications as tools for working with customers, i.e. Salesforce.com.
- Qualified to degree level in an Engineering related field.
- Understanding of electronic product testing.
- LIF qualified.
- Gathers and analyses information with skill.
- Identifies and resolves problems quickly and efficiently through to successful conclusion.
- Works well with people from different disciplines with varying degrees of technical knowledge.
- Takes a consultative and collaborative approach when assisting customers to achieve their objectives.
- Demonstrates strong leadership and people management skills.
- Clear-thinking with a level-headed decision making style.
- Excellent listening and communications skills in written and verbal English.
- Excellent personal motivation and enthusiasm for delivering first-class customer service.
- Understands the importance of working as a team, the ability to share workload and works effectively within a team environment.
- Enthusiastic, determined, takes ownership and strives to deliver.
- Excellent telephone manner and the ability to build rapport with all internal departments, field sales and customers.
- Detail-orientated, inquisitive with excellent organisation and prioritising skills.
- Flexible with a positive approach to changing situations and workload.
- Presents a professional and smart image.
- Customer Services
- Product Development
- Quality Assurance