Our Client, based in Aberdeenshire although part of a larger EU based business, has an opportunity available for a Technical Manager to join their team.
The site is a modern development which has recently seen major investment in extended buildings and new and extended processing lines, freezing and storage facilities. The business is planning to expand into the UK retail markets and is developing systems in order to attain BRC certification, having recently attained SALSA certification.
The Technical Manager will be responsible for satisfying the company expansion plan and UK retailers through gaining BRC food certification.
This role will include a degree of support to the rest of the team, with the Technical Manager having the opportunity to recruit and develop an appropriate team to cover future tasks such as Internal audit, QA supervision, Specifications administration and Hygiene team supervision.
Responsibilities will include taking ownership of and a proactive role in:
- Assisting the Production manager to develop and train the production team,
- Liaison with Admin, Sales, Production and Engineering colleagues plus the General Manager.
- Developing the Food Safety Management System in line with the HACCP and BRC plan
- Heading up all Factory Food safety and Quality Audits (eg Customer, SALSA, BRC, Governmental).
- Investigating incidents and internal/externally raised issues so that coherent plans and responses can be made for staff and other parties.
- Ensuring that: the site takes a professional approach to food safety quality and legality, has the appropriate due diligence systems in place and operates within them .
- Ensuring a strong presence on the factory floor.
- Being the Technical/Quality/Food Safety point of contact for each of: Suppliers, Customers , Government food safety authorities.
The ideal Technical Manager will:
- Preferably be trained in a Food related subject such a Food Technology /Science, and/or have a good knowledge of seafood handling practices.
- Have experience with direct supply to the UK retail sector chilled/frozen food manufacturing industry (preferably in Seafood or meat) and with front line exposure to external audits (eg from UK retailer or BRC).
- Be a self-starter able to work under their own initiative and have the ability to communicate clearly and effectively with factory staff, colleagues, senior management, customers and authorities.
- Have the ability to discuss and present an appropriate response to difficult situations (eg with colleagues or suppliers or customers) in order to achieve an appropriate result.
- Be a well organised individual who is a proficient time manager and capable of developing and using their team to prioritise and handle many tasks.
The successful Technical Manager will have the opportunity to build their team and be part of an exciting time of expansion, while earning a competitive salary of up to £45k depending on experience.