Technical Accounting Manager
Our client is looking for a Technical Accounting Manager to join their team in Newcastle.
This role is to provide robust technical accounting advice to the finance function and the business; act as support to the Group Financial Controller on accounting projects; support to members of the Group Finance team, including Financial Accounting and Financial Reporting, who are working on technical accounting matters; and ensure Group accounting policy is applied consistently across the UK BU
- Manage the accounting aspects of steps plans which relate to restructuring of the UK BU and Newcorp and as precursors to liquidation of surplus entities within UK BU and Newcorp so that steps plans are performed in accordance with UK law and UK GAAP.
- Provide oversight of the annual impairment testing of International Power Ltd. and its subsidiaries, and the UK BU to ensure that the results of the impairment testing are correctly reflected in each company’s accounts.
- Provide technical accounting input into major accounting projects, such as changes in GAAP to ensure that the Group’s results are robust and properly presented.
- Provide high quality technical accounting input to accounting due diligence, project bids and tenders, mergers and acquisitions to ensure that the accounting implications are properly considered prior to the proposed transactions.
- Monitor developments in ENGIE accounting policies, to ensure that UK-BU is totally compliant with those requirements.
- Write or review UK BU accounting policies, process advisories, application notes and other guidance papers.
- Plan and coordinate training and review activities, as appropriate, to ensure that Group accounting policy and UK BU accounting policies and practices are adopted consistently throughout the UK BU.
- Provide technical accounting support to those team members preparing statutory accounts of UK BU and Newcorp companies.
- Write or review high quality work papers on complex accounting areas within the UK BU accounts, and demonstrate appropriate review and challenge of underlying data so that the robustness of financial information is adequately ensured, and there is a clear audit trail.
- Coach junior members of the Financial Accounting and Financial Reporting teams on a day to day basis in relation to technical accounting matters.
Key Performance Indicators
- Steps plans are performed in accordance with local law and local GAAP.
- Distributions and other intragroup transactions are lawful.
- Complex accounting matters are correctly considered and accounted for.
- Statutory accounts are complete, accurate and fully compliant with law and GAAP and achieve clean audit opinions.
- The UK BU management accounts and Group reporting submissions in Smart include the correct accounting for complex matters.
- Group accounting policies and UK accounting practices are applied consistently and follow those of the Group.
- Finance staff across the UK BU recognise the post holder as a source of high quality accounting advice.
Key Knowledge and Skills
- Strong technical accounting knowledge in both IFRS and UK GAAP.
- Ability to manage a diverse workload.
- Able to communicate complex issues both verbally and in a written form on a timely basis.
- Highly numerate with strong analytical ability.
- Has strong attention to detail and takes pride in accuracy of own work.
- Strong Excel skills.
The job holder will have:
- Strong knowledge of IFRS and UK GAAP, developed in a technical role in an accounting practice
- Prepared and reviewed statutory accounts under IFRS and UK GAAP.
- Kept up to date with developments in financial reporting practice.
Qualified accountant with several years’ post qualification experience, usually an FCA/ACA.
Dimensions of Job
- The UK BU has revenue of c. £3 billion
- Statutory accounts are required for c.100 entities (within the UK BU and Newcorp)
- Interaction with other head office functions e.g. Corporate Finance, Tax, Treasury, Company Secretariat, FP&A, Central Functions, Consolidation team in Paris/Brussels.
- Contact point for accounting and reporting queries from throughout the Group.
- The role has no direct reports but will involve working with, supervising ad coaching other members of the wider finance team on technical accounting matters, such as impairment testing and steps plans.