We are responsible for operating, maintaining and improving England's motorways and major A roads. Consider that a third of all traffic, two thirds of heavy goods vehicles, and 98% of UK businesses rely on them, and you can see why our roads, and what we do, matters so much.
Based regionally, this role leads a team of off-road regional control centre operators, providing guidance and directing the work of the team to ensure traffic operations run smoothly and incidents are handled effectively.
Day to Day:
* Take responsibility for the health and safety of the team and yourself by challenging, reporting and acting on any unsafe activities or conditions.
* Lead on Health and Safety reporting requirements to ensure all staff operate in a safe manner, with particular regard to the safety-critical nature of the role.
* Provide front line team management and set objectives for the team, supporting and developing performance and managing resources to ensure knowledge and competence is maintained.
* Act as incident commander either on scene or from the control room on behalf of Highways England as needed to ensure all those involved are working safely and collaboratively to resolve the incident in a timely manner.
* Produce staffing rotas for the team to ensure a good quality service is delivered on a consistent basis.
* Deliver staff briefings on relevant topics as required, e.g. health and safety, to ensure team have the knowledge and skills they need to operate effectively
* Produce relevant management information and KPI reports to support central decision-making.
* Proficiency in a range of office software products to enable production / maintenance of a range of complex documents, spreadsheets and management reports.
* A strong track record of delivering outcomes and achievements in a customer focussed organisation.
* Experience of incident management and working within a control room environment.
* Experience of building and maintaining strong professional relationships to deliver results outside immediate team
* Have held a full valid UK driving licence for 2 years with no more than 3 points on your licence (at the time of sending in your application)
* Live within one hour's commutable distance of the vacancy location.
* Experience of motorway driving.
So we can really get to know you and what you can offer please include a CV with your application.
You're also encouraged to include a covering note explaining how you're a great match for us: so please tell us how your skills, experience and qualifications meet both the role, and Highways England, requirements.
We're expecting this role to be popular, so we may need to close the advert early if response is strong so to avoid disappointment, please apply as soon as possible.
Help keep England moving.
We look forward to hearing from you.
For a full list of our vacancies please apply at recruitment.highways.gov.uk/