If you’re organised, have a high attention to detail and are customer focused then we can offer you a great career here at Severn Trent.
Your role will be to safely transport an increasingly valuable commodity - sewage and sludge. Whilst most of our region’s waste is cleaned and safely returned to the rivers, increasingly we’re finding innovative green uses for it in farming and energy generation - in fact we generate some of our own electricity from the sewage we process.
Working regular, local routes, you’ll be responsible for safely collecting, and delivering sewage and sludge, transporting it in vacuum tankers between Severn Trent sites. You’ll also be expected to attend team meetings from time to time.
You’ll work a 48 hour week, shift pattern 5 days out of 7.
We can’t guarantee overtime but if it’s available, we’re happy for you to work extra hours.
It’s a great role for people who enjoy working outdoors, whatever the weather. An LGV (Large Goods Vehicle) driving licence (category C1+E/class 1) is essential, DQC valid until September 2019 and a Digital Tachograph card. You don’t need experience in a similar role but you must be physically capable of operating a vacuum tanker and safely putting pipes on and off pipe trays.
You’ll often be working alone, so it’s important you’re responsible and reliable - it’s up to you to assess risks and make sure you’re wearing appropriate PPE (personal protective equipment). You’ll also need to be computer literate to send emails and log details onto our company systems using a handheld computer.
As a Tanker Driver, your key skills and competencies will include:
• Ability to operate STW specification vacuum tankers and associated equipment.
• Ability to safely access vehicle cabs, sites and offices using correct procedures (3 points of contact, etc).
• Ability to manipulate (including loading & unloading to/from tanker pipe storage trays) flexible pipework (up to 5" diameter) in a safe manner utilising correct manual handling techniques.
• Ability to work unsupervised in all weather conditions utilizing correct PPE, loneworker system, etc.
• Ability to dynamically risk assess site access & working conditions depending on specific circumstances on arrival.
Severn Trent benefits include:
• A starting salary of up to £30,784.86 (depending upon experience) + Allowances.
• Fantastic Pension scheme
• 25 days’ holiday plus 8 bank holidays, with the option to buy or sell up to 5 additional days per year
• Full range of Flexible benefits such as:
o SMART water - save money on your bills
o Private medical insurance
o Dental Insurance
Can be based in the following sites within the West Midlands: Checkley/Four Ashes/Rushmoor.
Every day, Severn Trent’s 1600-strong Waste team remove 1.4 billion litres of waste water through a network of sewers and drains long enough to circle the earth twice. They clean water at 1,026 treatment works before putting it back into our region’s rivers - currently in a better condition than at any time since the Industrial Revolution.
It’s largely thanks to their hard work and constant innovation that we have the country’s lowest bills today - and that our water stays in safe hands in future.