About the role
Softcat’s Systems Team are looking for an Apprentice Systems Support Developer. You will join our development team where you will initially focus on learning about our existing systems and then helping manage technical support issues and requests. Whilst carrying out this work which will mainly be carried out using SQL Server you will be developing important SQL and analytical skills which will form part of your development under the Apprentice Programme.
In time as you progress through the apprentice training plan you will begin to make coding changes to our environment and will start picking up small projects which will require you to code new solutions. This will begin to cover all elements of the IT Requirements Capture, Design, Build, Test and Release cycle.
Our apprenticeship programme runs for 24 months in which time you will gain all the skills you need to make the transition towards becoming a fully qualified developer.
The remit of this role will include but not be limited to:
- Responding to operational Incident requests - discussing issues with users, investigating problems and managing issues through to resolution.
- Actioning Service Requests - items such as ad hoc report requests, access issues, queries
- Creating and updating tickets in our tracking system to cover all Incidents and Service requests
- Carry out root cause analysis in SQL Server to try and track down any problems with coding
- Making changes to reporting and database systems
- Testing new code to validate business rules and quality of output in line with requirements
- Undertake regular checks and routines to ensure our database systems and processes are operating as they should be
You will have an interest in IT Development or Programming and ideally have some exposure to a programming language. You will have a keen eye for detail, enjoy problem solving and be self-motivated with a strong desire to expand your knowledge and skills.
Ideal qualifications / experience
- A Levels and / or BTEC in Computing
- Experience with the MS Office range of products.
- Some basic understanding of the technical principles around relational databases
- Some basic knowledge of programming in at least one language (eg T-SQL, Python, C#, Java script)
Softcat is a leading provider of IT infrastructure and proud to be in the top 5 best workplaces in the UK (Great Places to Work Awards 2017).
We care passionately about two things: outstanding employee satisfaction and world-class customer service. We believe the former drives the latter. At Softcat we know that in order to have happy customers, we first need to have happy employees.
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job