The National Physical Laboratory (NPL) is the UK`s National Measurement Institute, and is a world-leading centre of excellence in developing and applying the most accurate measurement standards, science, engineering and technology available. We sit at the intersection between scientific discovery and real world application and for more than a century NPL has developed and maintained the nation`s primary measurement standards.
NPL ensures that cutting-edge measurement science, engineering and technology have a positive impact in the real world and deliver world-leading measurement solutions that are critical to commercial research and development, and support business success across the UK and the globally. Our mission is to provide the measurement capability that underpins the UK`s prosperity and quality of life.
We are expanding several technical areas and have opportunities for engineers to join us with experience in developing precision instruments. This will be in support of internal facility development and externally focussed products which need professional, well designed solutions. This role would be part of a multidisciplinary team of engineers and scientists who working in collaboration will develop whole systems.
We are interested in ambitious engineers with aptitude for scientific instrument and product development looking to build their careers in a diverse environment. And also experienced systems engineers who would also take on leadership responsibility.
• Design and building measurement instruments of novel design, interfacing components (pressure/temperature sensors, cryogenics hardware, vacuum pumps, valves, mass flow controllers) with computer control software.
• Developing integrated instrument system solutions which are robust, well documented, reproducible and maintainable
• Working within a quality system and product development process
• Occasional travel to work with collaborators or help deploy instruments
• Interfacing with rest of business and providing best practice to projects across NPL
• An undergraduate degree or equivalent experience in engineering or physics
• Work experience within an engineering or research and development environment.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team, managing your time according to priorities
• A rigorous approach to problem solving and ability develop solutions to difficult problems
• An inquisitive mind and willingness to interact dynamically within a team
• Excellent written and verbal communication
• Senior candidates - leadership ability both in terms of your technical knowledge and managing a small team of scientists and engineers
• Senior candidates - experience managing instrument development and manufacturing projects through day-to-day involvement at a technical level and applying a systems engineering approach to design, control and project governance.
Applicants for more senior positions will be expected have good customer facing skills and contribute to applying for funding and exhibiting leadership in their technical area and potentially staff management of a small team.
Please note this role is being advertised across multiple zones. Offer and salary will be dependent on experience.
We will be reviewing applications prior to the official close date, so we may change the close date if needed.
Based in a unique, purpose-built research environment, we are located in beautiful surroundings on the edge of Bushy Park, south-west London with a host of onsite facilities. These include a subsidised crèche, restaurant and free parking.
NPL Management Limited is committed to supporting its people to develop both personally and professionally and is committed to equal opportunities. NPL Management Limited is a Stonewall Diversity Champion and an Institute of Physics Project Juno Practitioner.