We are currently working on an exciting position for a Systems Development Engineer for our client based just outside the city of Oxford.
This technical R&D company research, design and manufacture micromachining and micro deposition equipment specialising in bespoke hybrid solutions for use in a number of technical manufacturing based industries. The company have 3 main functions
- To develop new laser and inkjet manufacturing technologies for their parent group and others to process ~metre scale devices with~ 10µm scale features. Making, for example, touch sensors or photovoltaic panels
- Build manufacturing machines on which to run these processes
- Run an in-house touch sensor manufacturing factory
They have a team of 40 people in Oxford and also have a team of 3 in Hong Kong and we are part of a large group (about 10,000 people) Hong Kong-based manufacturing group whose main business is making parts for mobile phones, tablets, laptops, etc.
The Process Engineering Group is a team of physicists, engineers, chemists and material scientists which develop and use these technologies to make samples or even short production runs for customers. The working environment within the group can be high-pressured at times but also supportive and friendly with a great team spirit. The group share a passion for bringing ideas from Scientific Experiment to Engineering Reality and they boast many global customers some of whom are very well-known names.
When developing solutions to new applications the first thing is to fundamentally understand the process - e.g. the interactions between a laser beam and/or inkjet droplets and the surface bring processed. The second step is to then develop a unique system to run that process in an optimised way. This role addresses that second step and will include the following duties and responsibilities:
- Top level concept design
- Hardware selection
- Design of wiring
- Assembly and test
When the system and process are proved to work they can be transferred for integration into the customers machine. The systems development engineer will work closely with the Process Engineers to develop these process/ system combinations which are at the cutting edge of large area electronics materials processing.
A secondary function of this role is to support the laboratory machines and a continuous improvement programme of upgrading them with more advanced functionality.
This role would suit a "hands-on" individual who loves new technologies and is a real opportunity to be creative and apply your skills to real-world applications. There will also be an opportunity for international travel supporting machine installations.
Key skills and attributes:
- Educated to degree level in electrical or electronic engineering
- Excellent organisational skills with a methodical way of working and good record keeping
- A creative thinker with the ability to think of new solutions to challenging problems
- Proven experience with Electrical CAD software ideally AutoCAD to generate electrical drawings
- Hands-on wiring/ build skills
- A keen interest in technology (perhaps evidenced by home projects e.g. Arduino, Raspberry Pi etc.)
- A brilliant team player who is self motivated
Desirable Skills and Qualifications
- Experience of lasers/ optics (e.g as part of a degree)
- Software development (particularly Python or C#)
- Experience of motion control systems. Machine build and commissioning
This role is an excellent opportunity to join a thriving business and would suit a candidate seeking to improve their career within technical manufacturing. To apply, please send your CV to Gemma Turp today including a covering letter.
You can also apply through our website as well as Reed.co.uk
Due to the high volume of CV’s we receive on a daily basis unfortunately we are unable to provide specific feedback on each application. If you have not been contacted after two weeks from the date of your application unfortunately you may have been unsuccessful. We strive to deliver an excellent service to all of our candidates and as such, should you wish to discover the reason you may have been unsuccessful please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us.
Find us on Facebook, LinkedIn (Horizon Search & Selection Ltd) and Twitter (@Horizon_East) to hear about all of our latest jobs!
- Electrical Engineering
- Engineering Physics
- Materials Science