This role based either at Stevenage or Hawthorn will form part of the Skynet 5 Systems Design Authority (SDA) team. As a SDA you will typically engage at the preparation for PDR stage of the project and will be a key member of the design process as the design progresses. Occasional travel is expected to the Ground Station installations and customer locations in the UK. As part of the role there may also be a requirement to travel to customer installations overseas.
The Systems Design Authority (SDA) role is a key role for Airbus Defence and Space service delivery enabling project timelines and revenue.
This post would suit anyone in current/previous roles of Network Design Architect, Technical Architect, Technical IP Consultant/SME or Senior Systems Engineer.
The successful candidate will need to be eligible to gain UK SC Security Clearance to undertake the role. • Chairing Design Reviews as required, and supporting the Change Management Process as authorising signatories (RFC) for all Skynet 5, GiN based M2 and M1 services.
* Oversee the integrity of engineered and documented designs.
* Ownership of assigned design baselines
* Championing the engineering disciplines during the high pressure project environment in order to avoid early life failures of the customer service.
* Ensure that designs are adequate and meet the customer requirement.
* Ensure that the requirements are fully captured, managed, analysed and understood.
* Ensure that Verification and Qualification activities are conducted in a traceable manner (to the customer requirement)
* Establish the design requirements and ensure that design output records accurately reflect the design basis.
* Allocate and manage the naming, numbering and network IP address schemes and conventions.
* Capacity Planning & records (Ports, devices, modules, IOS variants).
* Ensure that implementation teams understand the expected design outputs and basis for the design; provide guidance and advice as required
* Ensuring that designs are consistent across our Managed Services so that efficiencies can be achieved in area's such as:
o Reusable network configuration
o Reusable knowledge and skills
o Simple, reusable, consistent and robust integration to other facets of Managed Services that the design needs to plug up to.
o Has acceptance from the wider SDA team on design strategies, which should be shared frequently
You must have come from a Telecoms or satellite communications background to be suitable for this role. Experience in most of the following areas is also desirable:
* Extensive experience with either Provider IP Networks or large-scale Enterprise WAN environments.
* Professional level certifications such as Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) or Cisco Certified Design Professional (CCDP), or similar experience, is being sought.
* Experience of both Pre-and Post-Sales Design.
* Proven Hands on implementation
* Recognised design leadership in past roles
* Technical project management
* Demonstrated knowledge of other area's outside of main SDA competence (good around knowledge of Service features)
* IP, VOIP and MPLS systems.
* Satellite communications systems.
* Encryption devices including DCAP, Mini Catapan and Ectocryp.
* Serial communication protocols.
* Test methods and good practise
Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.