Sustainability Manager - Sao Tome Principe
DO YOU WANT TO WORK IN PARADISE?
EVER HEARD OF SAO TOME? GOOGLE IT AND THEN READ BELOW.
Our client entered into a strategic partnership with the government of Sao Tome and Principe in 2010, with the aim of developing the sustainable tourism potential of the islands and with a particular goal of developing Principe as the first completely ecologically run tropical island economy. The development plan for Principe is designed to offer sustainable economic growth without harming the pristine surrounding.
The role of Sustainability Manager is multifaceted, helping to guarantee that the group upholds environmental standards and takes steps towards a greener future. It is a role that enables the right candidate to make a real difference to the way the group affects the environment and implement strategies that reduce ecological damage and promote long-term sustainability.
The Sustainability Manager takes control of the development, implementation, promotion and monitoring of environmental strategies within an organisation.
The role is frequently also responsible for managing a budget, liaising with marketing departments to promote a sustainability strategy, and communicating plans to directors, colleagues, stakeholders, vendors and customers.
Working within local authorities, national government bodies, corporate offices, consultancies, academic institutions or agencies, the Sustainability Manager holds an important and increasingly visible role in any organisation that is required to manage and reduce waste and promote ecological sustainability.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- You will Sustainability Manager covering the whole group, which includes 4 hotels an airport and construction of future developments, However the primary focus will be the hotels
- Analysing the current practices of the organisation and identifying points where environmental sustainability could be improved
- Measuring the performance of the organisation's current sustainability practices to have a benchmark from which to improve
- Planning and developing a strategy to improve environmental sustainability within an organisation
- Initiating a course of action so that sustainability metrics are gathered and recorded over time, to measure and chart improvements
- Working with other departments, such as Human Resources, marketing and PR, to open lines of communication about changes that will be implemented and the impact they will have on the workplace and the environment
- Periodically reassessing work that is in progress and that has already been carried out in order to look again at difficult problems and assess the suitability of strategies already in place
- Liaising with colleagues, directors and experts to gain valuable expertise from third parties
- Relevant degree in sustainability, environmental management or public affairs
- Extensive professional sustainability experience with a strong commercial understanding of sustainability data around recycling and waste
- Ability to speak Portuguese (Beneficial)
The successful candidate will receive:
- A basic salary of up to €56,000
- All accommodation, relocation and visas arranged by the company
- 2 yearly flights
- 33 days holiday
- 3 days R+R (Half board in one of the companies resorts)
If you would like to be considered for this role, please click apply. For further information, please contact Stuart Smith at Edge Careers.