16 hours per week in the day - £12-£14 per hour
Additional hours are available each week on a flexible basis, including weekend and night shifts
To work with a young man who is a wheelchair user with no verbal communication; meeting his health, educational, social, physical, psychological and emotional needs. You will work with him in the family home and local community using a flexible and adaptable approach to ensure that the client participates in age related activities, allowing choice and encouraging him to achieve his optimum level of independence while having regard to his safety and welfare. The care will involve manual handling and basic physiotherapy lead exercises and positioning.
Experience is preferred although not essential as full training and induction will be given.
- To contribute to the assessment, implementation, and evaluation of support for the client.
- To provide support and care in partnership with client and his family. Specific tasks include assisting client with activities in and outside the home such as use of IT, therapy sessions, feeding via gastrostomy and engaging in other interests as they arise and develop for this young man.
- To observe and report any changes in the client’s condition to the Senior Support Worker or other nominated person immediately.
- To work using a mature approach taking into account the client’s age and ensure he is given choices where possible in relation to choose of activity while maintaining an appropriate supportive relationship.
- To maintain a family centred approach at all times, remaining aware of the social and psychological needs of the client and family unit, and respecting the dynamics of working in a family home.
- Planning any outings must be undertaken in accordance with protocol and in consideration of issues such as access to toilets and handling requirements
- To develop work in line with the Senior Support Worker and Case Manager to assist developing the client’s independence skills in line with the goals as agreed and monitored during supervision
- To assist client to mobilise safely outside of the home, including accompanying him to public toilets where required, while respecting client’s dignity and privacy.
- To assist with preparation of feed as required.
- To physically assist the client to manage all aspects of personal care tasks including bathing, washing, and dressing in the mornings and in getting him ready for bed at night.
- To physically assist the client in managing personal care tasks including hair washing and styling, ear hygiene, skin care, mouth care and nail care.
- Maintenance of laundry including the washing and ironing of the client’s clothes.
- Supporting the client on a daily basis with structured activities.
- Driving the client in the family’s wheelchair adapted vehicle to outings and appointments.
- Assist with physiotherapy and occupational therapy programmes, as advised by the relevant therapists.
- Attending as required occasional family outings.
- Informing the Senior Support Worker of the itinerary of planned outings including being contactable and having an emergency plan for unforeseen circumstances
Specialist Equipment & Manual Handling
- Be familiar with the operation and function of all specialist equipment used by the client.
- Be familiar with using the hoist and fitting slings, with the ability to manage hoist transfers in the method as outlined in the manual handling risk assessment and care plan.
- Be familiar with assisted transfers where relevant and required, and that these are conducted in line with the manual handling training, risk assessment, care plan and training from the physiotherapist.
- Be familiar with positioning of the client when in his bed and wheelchair.
- Responsibility for reporting any faulty or problems with equipment to the Senior Support Worker.
- Promptly handling the client as advised by the physiotherapist, manual handling advisor and the Occupational Therapist
- Tidying and cleaning of his bedroom and en-suite bathroom following morning routine.
- Ensuring that the clients specialist equipment is cleaned on a weekly basis or more regular if required.
Please Note: When applying for one of our vacancies, we will create a private application on our website so that the employer can view and respond to you. If you would like to update or remove your CV from our website, you can login and delete it at any time. We will send you login details when the application is made.
- Manual Handling
- Occupational Therapy
- Related Activities
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job