Support Worker - Waking Nights and Bank Work
The company have a great opportunity, offering a flexible number of shifts to suit the right candidate, on a part or full time basis, with night cover forming the basis of this role. The role is to support a boy with cerebral palsy in his family home. You will form part of a team, providing predominantly night time care for our client who is a sociable boy and who enjoys playful and social activities although his communication is through simple signing, eye and hand pointing and a communication book. He is a full-time wheelchair user and his home is adapted to meet his physical needs including help with manual handling.
About the job
You will be responsible for helping our client as required through the night, calming and settling him and monitoring his sleep patterns. You will be advised and supported by the case manager, team leader and members of the wider multi-disciplinary team. Routine activities include all aspects of personal care as needed through the evening, night or early mornings, preparing him for school.
You will be given training and although experience of working in a carer role or of waking nights would be beneficial, a proactive and encouraging approach along with a desire to make a difference to this family while being reliable and maintaining trust are more important. You will also need to be physically fit to cope with the manual handling elements of the role safely. We have a manual handling plan in place but this role will require you to be able to move freely and safely to ensure good posture during handling tasks.
Support worker requirements
- Confident about working in the client’s own home and sensitive to the needs and wishes of the parents.
- Willing to learn new skills - hoisting, feeding, personal care routine etc. Training will be given.
- Aptitude and desire to work with children with complex needs.
- Flexible and able to use own initiative.
- Patient and tolerant.
- Proactive, encouraging approach.
- Cheerful, caring, positive and responsible attitude.
- Good sense of humour.
- Reliable, trustworthy and a good communicator.
- Willing to participate in a variety of outdoor activities.
- Able to demonstrate a good understanding of the importance of maintaining confidentiality and to respect tour client’s and his family’s need for privacy.
- Flexible i.e. with start and finish times according to the needs of our client.
- Excellent literacy and numeracy skills
- Confident with using I.T.
- Able to work flexible hours, sometimes at short notice.
- Ability to work additional hours as required.
- Willing to travel.
Please note, only candidates who are able to meet the physical manual handling demands of the role safely will be considered due to the nature of the care: this is an exception under the Equality Act 2010, Schedule 9, part 1, Paragraph 1.
The hours required are 48 hours per week, working 3 nights each week from 5pm until 9am and including alternate Friday nights. There is opportunity for flexibility across these nights with scope to split these with others and to help to broaden the team and provide better cover for the family due course.
If you are interested in the role, meet the above criteria and would like to join the team please email your CV along with a covering letter outlining the hours or shift you are willing to work using the application link supplied
You will ideally have experience of working with individuals with complex needs and be positive and encouraging, patient and reliable.
- Experience of working waking nights will be beneficial, but also the ability to carry out therapy programmes and keeping accurate
- records. Experience of using hoisting equipment will also be helpful although training will be provided.
- Monday to Friday Day or Waking Night shift - £11 per hour
- Saturday to Sunday Day or Waking Night shift- £11.50 per hour
- Bank Holidays Day or Waking Night shift - £12.00 per hour
- Personal Care
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job