About the role
An excellent opportunity has arisen for a production editor to join our busy design studio. Working from established design styles, our team sub-edits and produces a variety of science-based magazines. The role also supports the production of a wide range of promotional material for IOP Publishing, as well as the Institute of Physics in London, including leaflets, brochures, book/journal covers, adverts, posters, reports, teacher resources and exhibition materials.
Working closely with a number of in-house colleagues/clients and external editors, you will be assisting us on a range of published materials, carrying out such things as:
- sub-editing and proofing, with a focus on improving the quality of the writing;
- laying out pages of magazines, newsletters, book/journal covers and marketing materials, manipulating images and building templates;
- setting and monitoring schedules;
- adapting designs for promotional material to different formats within brand guidelines, which involves responding well to art direction;
- liaising with suppliers such as printers (e.g. print ordering);
- supporting the editorial production team leader with administrative duties.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate:
- previous experience in hands-on sub-editing, proofing and production (preferably in scientific publishing) with experience of using InDesign and Photoshop (on a Mac);
- an excellent command of English, with an eye for detail and the ability to work with different style guides, following corporate design;
- previous experience of multiple project management, multitasking and problem solving in a publishing environment;
- excellent interpersonal skills, with a proven record of liaising with colleagues, internal and external customers, editors and suppliers;
- knowledge of production including prepress and printing technologies (e.g. CMYK, resolution, paper);
- good knowledge of web and digital technologies, including WordPress.
For those candidates without all of the above experience, we would be willing to consider those who are quick to learn new technologies, although an excellent command of English is very important. Degree-level education in a relevant subject (English, science, journalism, publishing) will be an advantage. IOP promotes staff development and offers a range of training courses.
- Design Studio
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job