Highways England are responsible for operating, maintaining and improving England's motorways and major A roads. Over recent years, investment in our highways has increased, this has led to advances in technology, such as smart motorways; enabling traffic to flow better. However, even more is yet to be done. Considering that a third of all traffic, two thirds of heavy goods vehicles, and 98% of UK businesses rely on them, and you can see why our roads, and what we do, matters so much.
It's an exciting time to begin a career with Highways England as we invest £11 billion in our motorways and A Roads boosting capacity, tackling congestion and improving safety which is why we're so grateful to our c 4,500 employees around the country. At the same time, we'll improve how we work. That means we will be able to; plan roadworks better to minimise disruption; clear incidents more quickly; and save more than £1 billion by working more efficiently. When you work with us, you're helping to connect communities, sustain business and support the economy.
For further information on Highways England, please visit our website:
Highways England are recruiting 2 Structures Inspectors on a permanent basis to cover the North West, with one position to work from our Preston office and one position to work from Penrith. The role will involve completing inspections of designated structural assets, in line with agreed inspections schedules, procedures and standards.
N.B Driving will be required as part of this role and full clean driving licence will be required.
Day to day
- Plan and complete cyclical and ad-hoc inspections of structures and identification of defects, in line with agreed timescales, procedures and standards.
- Document asset condition and inspection findings in relevant systems, in line with agreed data capture and management standards.
- Complete reports and creation of technical drawings to support inspection findings and asset condition information management.
- Input into the development of maintenance and investment plans and prioritisation.
- Collate data from special inspections and testing and be available to incident sites and provide assessments and advice, as required.
- Provide Initial information to support customer and stakeholder queries, claims and correspondence.
- Evidence of strong stakeholder management and communication skills
- Ability to execute tasks independently, yet work collaboratively within a team and respond to management guidance & support
- Experience in structures inspections
- Qualified or working towards Bridge Inspector certification
- Experience in data collection and use of data capture devices
- Willingness to work unsociable hours, work at height, within confined spaces, in adverse weather conditions.
So we can really get to know you and what you can offer please include a CV with your application. You're also encouraged to include a covering note explaining how you're a great match for us: so please tell us how your skills, experience and qualifications meet both the role, and Highways England, requirements.
For further information please review the .
All candidates will be required to provide valid proof of Right to Work in the UK and ID at interview.
We're expecting this role to be popular, so we may need to close the advert early if response is strong so to avoid disappointment, please apply as soon as possible.
Help keep England moving. We look forward to hearing from you.
For a full list of our vacancies please apply at recruitment.highways.gov.uk/