Stores/ Stock Control Assistant role in Maidstone, Kent. HMP Maidstone.
Stores & Kit Exchange Assistant
HMP Maidstone in Kent, Long-term Temporary Contracts.
Based on 39hours per week- Monday- Friday
£8.85 per hour (inclusive of holiday pay)
Overview of the position:
As the sole agency supplier to the HM Prison Service for the provision of maintenance trades & support operatives, Hays is seeking to recruit Stores/ Stock Control Assistants for HMP Maidstone, Kent.
This is a Long-term Temporary Contract with a pay rate of £8.85 inclusive of holiday pay
Based on an average of 39 hours per week Monday - Friday 8am - 5pm.
The Stores role is in a unique working environment with a strong sense of team working. Always in demand, you will benefit from long-term contracts.
*Please note there will be prisoner contact: You will also be working alongside small prisoner parties, who will be allocated laundry duties.
Purpose of the Stores role:
Working as part of the Stores Team reporting to the Establishment Lead and their Deputy, the post holder will be expected to operate within the stores environment receiving, receipting, stowing and issuing stores throughout the Prison.
All Stores services are to be delivered within Maidstone Prison in accordance with the Prison regulations and procedures
The vast majority of this role will be within "Kit Exchange" which takes all the dirty laundry from the prisoners, sends them off for cleaning, and then sorts and delivers clean linen and laundry including prisoner uniform. You will also be working alongside small prisoner parties, who will be allocated laundry duties.
Kent Prisons have an excellent reputation as busy local prisons, which serve all the courts in the South East. They pride themselves in engaging and involving employees working alongside them in the process of change.
- Request, process and receive goods using Prison finance system and stock control system. Prepare and process requisitions.
- Provide a Linen and Laundry Service, which includes prisoner uniform.
- Working alongside small prisoner parties, who will be allocated laundry duties.
- Receipt of goods in and ensure stock levels are maintained through inventory systems and regular physical checks and audits identifying issues of shortage and take appropriate actions to reduce as necessary.
- Advise on sufficient levels of stock and request procurement of goods and services in a timely manner to ensure sufficient levels are available onsite at all times.
- Ensure all materials used are correctly logged and are fit for purpose and to report any deficiencies to the Service Manager.
- To ensure the correct accounting action is taken for all transactions, manually or by actioning the Prisons computer system, and the correct filing of all such documentation in accordance with Authority regulations.
- To collect goods from the designated drop off area, monitor, log and x-ray all deliveries in accordance with Local Security procedures and deliver to the relevant internal / external location and undertake administrative duties relating to the area of work as required.
- Comply with waste management adhering to Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) regulations. Undertake activities in such a way to ensure that waste is reduced and that areas of work are safe, clean and tidy whilst work is in progress.
- To deal with customer requests and requirements in a correct and timely fashion, thus projecting a professional individual and company image.
- To ensure all stores areas are clean and tidy at all times and correctly secured. Monitor outside storage areas and containers maintaining accurate details
- As required undertake general fork lift truck and Heavy Goods Vehicle (HGV) duties
- To assist in the movement of heavy and bulky items using the correct manual handling techniques and the mechanical aids that are available.
- Distribute and assemble small items of office furniture/ equipment such as individual desks or filing cabinets etc as required.
- To assist with other duties or tasks appropriate to their grade as directed by Service Manager.
- Where applicable supervise the use of Prisoner labour in support of local employment regimes in the delivery of the stores service.
- Actively promote and adhere to company Health and Safety policies and procedures while undertaking duties working in a safe way at all times.
- Undertake any other reasonable task that may arise from time to time as required.
- Radio handling & operation
No formal qualifications are required for this role, however successful applicants will have a background in warehousing or stock control.
Ideally candidates will have experience with prisoner/ offender/ conflict contact as you will also be working alongside small prisoner parties.
You will be assessed based on the following competencies: Acting with integrity, respecting others, Building relationships and team working, communicating effectively, developing self and others.
The nature of the Stores role requires candidates to be security conscious and able to challenge potential compromises and risks, you will also need to be reliable and consistent, level headed and have exceptional interpersonal skills.
Full training is provided by the establishment/ department. Training time will be paid at the standard hourly rate.
Security Clearance required:
All applicants will be subject to the HM Prison Service Security Clearance procedure which can take up to 4 weeks, this can include a Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) check.
You must hold a Valid Passport or Birth Certificate & Photo Driving Licence in your current address.
All applicants must be able to provide details of 2 satisfactory references, at least one from an ex-employer.
If you would like to find out more about this interesting & rewarding opportunity contact Gavin Bartlett on
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job