Stores Cost Accountant
London Head Office, Houndsditch (with hybrid remote working)
Salary upto 35k
WHSmith is a leading, global travel retailer for the world’s travelling customer. Since 1792, we’re proud to have grown and evolved into a globally recognised brand, and we’re proud to be that air of familiarity people love and trust on their journey.
Today, we have more than 1,700 stores in over 30 countries across the globe, serving millions of customers every year. In the UK, you’ll find us at airports, railway stations, hospitals and at motorway service areas. Making our customers' journeys easier is our passion. Whether they're travelling by air, by foot, by road or by train, we are there for them. As one of the world's leading travel retailers, we are the trusted home for travel essentials in the UK and it's how we support the millions of journeys made each year.
As a diverse group of over fourteen thousand colleagues, our people and our customers are at the heart of everything we do. And we know to succeed on our own journey, we need the best people. We are currently seeking a Cost Accountant
to join our Travel finance team, based in our London Head Office. Reporting to the Senior Management Accountant, you will be responsible for the budgeting, forecasting and monthly accounting of store costs.
What you’ll be doing:
You’ll be accountable for the production of month end accounts for a range of store costs known as Other Direct Costs (ODCs). This ranges from a top level 'flash’ report to store level costs for all UK stores (circa 300 stores). They will also be accountable for all planning cycles for ODCs, producing robust budgets, forecasts and plans at detailed level, working closely with key stakeholders to identify risks and opportunities within individual cost lines. Key to the role will be the analysis of costs and driving cost saving initiatives and efficiencies forward.
• Production of monthly flash reports, balance sheet reconciliations and an on-going risk & ops register for ODCs
• Preparation of detailed packs for all planning cycles for ODCs, including bridges and explanations. Ensure involvement of key customers and stakeholders in the process.
• Produce store level P&L accounts at month end and at Budget and FC1 for intranet publication - using TM1 planning tool.
• Provide customer support for key stakeholders, particularly the Central Ops team - work with them to identify risks and ops in store costs, as well as assisting with invoice /contract management for key cost lines.
• Cost Analysis and production of management information to allow good decision making.
• Respond to a range of queries related to ODCs from Senior HO managers to local store managers, and auditors
• Tracking of all Capital Expenditure
What we are looking for:
• Ability to work quickly and accurately to meet tight deadlines
• Sound understanding of good accounting practice, including accruals and prepayments.
• Strong PC skills, capable of manipulating large volumes of data.
• Highly numerate with an excellent analytical ability to analyse exceptions and trends.
• Ability to communicate at all levels within the organisation, and with external stakeholders.
• Able to work flexibly and adapt to changing business requirements.
• Self starter - able to manage own time effectively and juggle demands of the role.
Qualifications / Experience
• Part qualified accountant - ACCA, CIMA or equivalent preferred
• Advanced Microsoft Office Excel (pivots, lookups etc). Knowledge of TM1 would be an advantage.
Bank or payment details should never be provided when applying for a job. For information on how to stay safe in your job search, visit SAFERjobs.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'