Do you want to help us as we shape the future of this great organization?
Job Description Summary
Manage the Safety, Security and Environmental functions in the Rochester plant. Develop and carry out procedures that effectively control accident, environmental health and security exposures in the company in line with OSHA, EPA, DEC, DHS and Regulatory compliance. Focus on the Vision of Zero as it relates to injuries and environmental incidents. Also lead efforts to improve cost reduction and process effectiveness in the areas of safety and environment. Lead, direct & train plant supervision and employees so that all applicable laws are complied with. This individual will adhere to all company ethical standards and lead by example for ethical compliance.
1. Responsible for coordinating and assisting with the administration of Lonza Rochester Vision of Zero which includes the plant behavioral based safety process (“F.O.C.U.S.”). The purpose is to have Zero injuries, Zero process incidents, Zero distribution incidents, Zero Security
incidents, Zero environmental incidents, and zero ethical issues. Will ensure that all concerns raised by the Vision of Zero board are addressed appropriately.
2. Supports the “Product Stewardship” initiative to ensure the health, safety and environmental performance of our products throughout the products’ life cycles.
3. Coordinates and assist in plant “Chem Stewards” initiative to ensure the plant maintains practice in place in all Chem Stewards codes.
4. Must acquire a working knowledge of current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP) and Good Document Pratices (GDP).
5. Must be an active member of the Rochester Plant Staff team. Will lead, coach and support the other staff members to ensure that they are complying with the highest standard for Health, Safety and Environmental policies and procedures.
6. Must acquire an understanding of the Rochester Plant budget and cost tracking systems. This includes controlling all aspects of the cost centers that he or she is responsible for controlling.
7. Must be an active F.O.C.U.S. observer/participant, leads and encourages team to perform observations. Will champion and lead this effort throughout the plant to encourage and drive participation by all employees.
8. Manages the Rochester Plant EHS&S programs to enforce regulations and to provide assistance to the plant in reducing risks and accidents. Will prioritize concerns and justify capital or expense that needs to be spent to reduce Lonza’s liability.
9. Manages and coordinates the activities of the EHS Team.
10. Leads the implementation of environmental policies and practices and waste reduction activities.
11. Recommends or approves promotions, job transfers, wage increases, and enforces disciplinary procedures according to plant policy.
12. Establishes team performance standards, through the implementation of the facility Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) and communicates status to staff.
13. Assists the Rochester plant to understand and implement PSM, RMP, CFATS, and OSHA regulations and standards, including guidance on handling OSHA, EPA,DHS and DEC
compliance, inspections, etc.
14. Leads and drives overall system compliance to investigate serious injuries in conjunction with team leaders and staff personnel.
15. Assesses new developments in EHS&S activities that may have application to the plant’s operations. Will ensure that the plant stays in compliance with all laws as well as corporate and plant company policy that may be more stringent than the applicable laws.
16. Responsible for overseeing the environmental programs including waste disposal with RCRA training, operation, air permitting, water discharges and groundwater monitoring.
17. Responsible for overseeing, implementing and maintaining the Responsible Care and Environmental Management System, and maintaining the facility Chem Stewards certifications. Acts as Chem Stewards management representative.
18. Will coordinate all plant activities related to EH&S and security so that we will be in compliance with all corporate initiatives and projects.
19. Will ensure that all investments and changes in the plant either expense or capital are reviewed properly so that no hazards are introduced without the proper safeguards.
20. Learn applicable modules in SAP.
21. Performs other duties as assigned.