Sr. Director, Medical Head
At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We’re focused on the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we think we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life. As a Sr. Director, Medical Head in Gaithersburg, MD you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives. North American Commercial is the ‘face’ of AstraZeneca and MedImmune to our many healthcare clients. They represent many of the most well recognized and respected products in the industry, and build strong relationships with healthcare professionals.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
This position is responsible for the oversight, strategic direction, and leadership of the Medical training function to meet the needs across the globe. Through the efforts of his/her team members, the Medical Senior Director is expected to develop a consistent service delivery brand within the OTD that is evident in all learning and development assets created. The incumbent will work with medical, clinical, commercial and other cross-functional leaders to create training and development strategies to help deliver our medicines and portfolio. The Medical Senior Director ensures alignment with business unit priorities to develop innovative, impactful, best-in-class, and timely medical, scientific training that supports scientific rigor, leadership, and communication acumen. This position is also responsible for ensuring the Medical function across the globe works in collaboration to create savings and avoid duplication of efforts. Success factors for this role include effectively leveraging resources in all countries and outcomes for learners and stakeholders that can be translated into tangible business successes.
- Works directly with internal stakeholders, including training managers, US and Global medical and commercial leads, including other OBU MCs on the global medical teams (GMTs) to understand current and future learning needs of the business. Ensures the necessary resources and supports are available to enable the Medical team to design, develop, and prioritize high-quality impactful learning innovations and experiences; plans for priority emerging and growth products within the oncology therapeutic area.
- Establishes strong cross-functional relationships across the product, medical, marketing, and existing internal training teams to develop a scalable global training program that showcases the best of OTD.
- Stays closely connected to the Global Medical Academy to ensure overarching training strategies and practices are consistent, aligned and efficient to meet the needs of the worldwide medical community, while focusing on the priorities of the Oncology portfolio.
- Leads the identification, deployment, and promotion of the most effective and innovative practices across the department; including launches.
- Leads teams in their strategic understanding of the company portfolio priorities to evaluate program metrics as a means of determining training impact in areas for growth and of success and ensures that specific annual objectives and milestones are set to enable the alignment with company strategic priorities.
- Builds and leverages relationships with external customers to ensure robust physician and patients insights are built into medical training plans to drive successful product launches. Supports team members to achieve a customer-focused and performance-driven culture that supports innovation, simplification, measurement, and excellence in learning development and delivery.
- Creates synergies across the teams to create cost-savings collaboration and to avoid duplication of efforts.
- Directs and oversees program budgeting activities, ensuring adherence to appropriate milestones and policies.
- Bachelor’s degree in field, such as Pharmacology, Pharmacy, Medicine (or equivalent)
- 5-7 years related experience
- Strong knowledge and application of adult learning principles
- Previous clinical or research expertise in oncology diseases
- Demonstrated competency in medical learning & development and science liaison teams
- Ability to effectively lead in a cross-functional and virtual team environment, providing direction and guidance to team members with varied and complementary responsibilities.
- Consultative abilities; demonstrated experience identifying internal client needs and making appropriate recommendations for the most effective L&D solutions
- Negotiation abilities; demonstrated experience working with leadership across functions to identify common areas of need and gain consensus on forward strategies that will deliver desired results
- Technical breadth across multiple disease areas; ability to demonstrate aptitude for continued knowledge development
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills to author persuasive communications
- Strong project team management skills; with demonstrated ability to focus on effective procurement and planning of resources and
- Advanced degree in Pharmacology, Pharmacy, Medicine, or equivalent
- 7-10 years training experience
- Knowledge of instructional systems design preferred.
- Expertise in assigned therapeutic area preferred.
- Experience in global function with OBU lead countries preferred.
- Working knowledge of information/technology systems that support learning and development initiatives.
This position can be filled in Gaithersburg, MD or Cambridge, UK
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. Astra