Our vision is for people with a learning disability to have access to sport and physical activity at all levels, from grassroots participation to elite level sport including at the Paralympics.
Did you know that only 14% of adults with a learning disability reach the Chief Medical Officers guidelines of physical activity?
Did you know that 1 in 3 young people leave their house for less than an hour a day on an average Saturday?
Did you know that only 6% of adults with a learning disability are currently employed, despite that fact that 65% are able to and want to?
What will you do?
The Sports Participation Programme Manager will be responsible for driving forward Mencap’s ambitious new 4-year programme, across 27 communities in England enabling 4,000 people with a learning disability to get active, 500 people to progress onto volunteering and 225 into employment programmes.
Mencap have spent the last three years piloting our 'Round the World Challenge’ (RTWC) project that inspires inactive people with a learning disability to get active through a fun, engaging challenge, as people race their way round the world; hours of sport and physical activity = distance travelled around the world.
Mencap have the exciting opportunity to grow this programme to benefit more people with a learning disability. We know from our evaluation the impact of being physically active and participating in the RTWC has on people with a learning disability. We are now able to offer this to more people and create pathways onto volunteering, sports leadership training and employment programmes.
We are looking for someone who is as passionate as we are to ensure that people with a learning disability are being given access to sport and physical education within their community. You will have the opportunity to drive through this programme within Mencap and the sports sector, impacting on wider societal change.
To be successful in this role you will need a background in delivering a large national programme, managing a team and large budgets and have excellent communication and interpersonal skills. The ideal candidate will be able to manage a varied work load, have a keen eye for detail, with the ability to frequently work to tight deadlines. Ideally you will understand the rights and needs of people with a learning disability and have a knowledge of the sport and leisure sector.
This job will be based at Mencap’s office in London with regional travel.
- Delivers Mencap’s flagship RTWC sports participation programme to meet all objectives, outcomes and outputs.
- Ensures that the project is well managed and is delivered to time and budget.
- Delivers strong leadership through the line management of three RTWC Project Managers, one per region (North, Central and South)
- Works collaboratively with Mencap’s Regional Programmes team Volunteering team, Personal Services and employment team to ensure the programme is delivered in line with Mencap’s strategy and has a cross organisation delivery model.
- Manages the impact, evaluation and research work, ensuring we are reporting on outcomes, this includes overseeing a large web portal build with Mencap’s digital team and the web developers.
- Manages relationship with funders ensuring reports are produced and successes are shared.
- Ensures effective partnership are built within the sport and leisure sector to lead to more inclusive provision for people with a learning disability, nationally and within the 27 localities.
- Champions sport and RTWC internally and externally and the importance of physical activity for people with a learning disability
- Demonstrates Mencap’s values and works in a way that supports the organisation values of inclusion of all people, valuing difference and promoting diversity. Actively seeks to include people with a learning disability in their work in a meaningful and appropriate way.
If you feel you have what it takes to be our Sports Participation Programme Manager, please apply using your CV and a covering letter, detailing why you want the job and what makes you an ideal candidate.
ID - 13784
- Project Management
- Programme Management
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"