We are responsible for operating, maintaining and improving England's motorways and major A roads. Consider that a third of all traffic, two thirds of heavy goods vehicles, and 98% of UK businesses rely on them, and you can see why our roads, and what we do, matters so much.
It's an exciting time to begin a career with Highways England as we invest £11 billion in our motorways and A Roads boosting capacity, tackling congestion and improving safety which why we're so grateful to our 4,500 employees around the country. When you work with us, you're helping to connect communities, sustain business and support the economy. And with responsibility for major projects, working here is also a great move for your career.
The National Infrastructure Programme represents Highways England's interests in dealing with the delivery and operational impacts of major infrastructure programmes such as the High Speed 2 railway scheme and the planned runway and terminal expansion at Heathrow Airport. It also represents Major Projects in developing the programme for the Oxford to Cambridge corridor, the A66 Northern Pennines corridor and the North West Quadrant project.
Initiate and oversee the delivery of a small project portfolio/sub-programme or singular large scale projects. Support the Regional Sponsor in achieving the outcomes of large scale regional and national investment. Ensuring alignment with Highways England strategic priorities. Identification and management of Benefits and Business case for individual schemes. Ensuring appropriate governance and coordination is in place for projects under the post holder's control. Providing leadership, internal challenge and support to project delivery function.
Day to Day:
- Assist in the development of the Project Brief Project and Portfolio benefits and business case, and that solutions are developed and delivered to meet the objectives and outcomes of the Roads Investment Strategy.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders inside and outside of Highways England, building trust, gaining commitment to the programme and individual project objectives and benefits and clarifying and resolving issues and concerns.
- Ensure that investment proposals fit with the longer-term asset strategy and secure the necessary investment for the business case. Ensure that there is adequate funding for the project throughout all stages of the lifecycle.
- Lead Value Management Review and initiate ad hoc reviews to support decision making and change control.
- Champion the customer throughout the development and delivery of projects
- Be accountable for managing stakeholders associated with the portfolio of projects
- Understand the core business drivers, environment and organisation, and manage aspects of uncertainty to maintain clarity with and for project delivery teams, reconciling different stakeholder requirements.
- Assist in the development of the project organisation structure and build the right team, ensuring provision of necessary resources and skills, role clarity and clear lines of accountability.
- Ensure a commercially viable options appraisal is delivered which takes into account a full understanding of value for money, requirements, risks and interdependencies of asset failure throughout the local and strategic network.
- Establish and chair the Project Committee for each project and ensure that the project is delivered in accordance with the governance requirements of Highways England and the Department for Transport; that decisions are subject to review at the appropriate point and are made in a timely way.
- Be accountable for the key decision making needed throughout the project lifecycle in order to ensure that desired outcomes are delivered
- Support the Product Control Framework (PCF) process and approve PCF products.
- Working with the Regional Sponsor manage stage gates reviews, implement independent Audit Reviews and value management interventions
- Accountable for project change control with levels of delegation, on behalf of Regional Sponsor, ensuring that change is managed in accordance with change control procedures set down by the Portfolio Management Office.
- Challenging and supporting programme teams associated with relevant portfolio/project to develop a deliverable operational concept for each project and for ensuring that customer and stakeholder needs are embodied in the delivery approach.
- Act as an escalation point for risks, issues and changes, providing clear direction to the project management team throughout the project lifecycle. Identify and manage strategic risks within the project and work with the project delivery teams to manage and mitigate them.
- Working with the regional Sponsor ensure the projects are adequately funded to deliver against its obligations and that timely approvals are in place;
- Formally hand over project to operation, closing each project and ensuring a long-term benefits realisation plan is in place having conducted post implementation reviews and documented lessons learned. Transfer responsibility for post-project benefits reviews to the Programme Committee.
- Deputise for Regional Sponsor as required