Spectrum Apprentice (2 Year FTC)
Spectrum Apprentice (2 Year FTC)
£16,000 per annum
Ofcom is the independent regulator and competition authority for the UK communications industries. We regulate the TV, radio, fixed-line telecoms, mobile telecoms and postal sectors, plus the radio spectrum which enables wireless devices to operate.
About the Job
- Working closely with our Engineers to make spectrum measurements, both in our well-equipped laboratory and in the field. This will be a great introduction to the leading-edge work of our measurement and systems teams
- Opportunity to work within our Spectrum Management Centre - to see how reports of spectrum interference are managed and gain an overview of our monitoring capabilities
- Working alongside our field-based Engineers as they investigate interference cases and carry out proactive inspections
- Working in technical policy areas to understand how policy is formed, our international work, and the important contribution this makes top spectrum users. This element will be based in Riverside House, London.
- You will spend some time with our Enforcement team to achieve a good understanding of the fundamentals of the legal framework in which we operate and our enforcement strategy
- Working with our Licensing team and our Programme Making and Special Events team to understand how spectrum in general, and these events, are planned for and managed
This is a development role and its aims are for the individual to attain:
- Valuable experience of all relevant spectrum areas, from policy through to operational
- An understanding of how these areas are linked and their inter-dependency
- Academic and practical skills and abilities needed to carry out further duties within Spectrum Group at the end of the 2-year term
An extremely varied and challenging role, the initial contract is for a period of two years after which the successful applicant will be considered for a permanent role in one of our engineering teams.
What you will be doing
- Attain an HNC in Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Reach an acceptable theoretical understanding of radio spectrum matters
- Develop an understanding of legal and case management matters and learn to apply them practically
- Develop and exhibit behaviours in line with Ofcom standards
- Embed within operational teams and develop practical skills necessary
- Develop good governance practices, including H&S
- Willingness to travel across the UK to develop appropriate skills
Essential Skills / Experience
- Appreciation of and desire to promote Ofcom's values of excellence, agility, empowerment and collaboration
- Entry requirements of 2 A levels, including Maths or Physics, Grade C or above; or, BTEC National Certificate or Diploma in associated subject
- Ability to confidently use IT, (e.g. Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and ability to become proficient with other Ofcom systems.
- Very good communication skills
- Proactive, positive and agile in approach
- Strong organisational skills, including the ability to plan and prioritise a busy workload
- The ability to work well and flexibly in a team and self-motivate with a flexible approach to tasks
The closing date for applications is the 27th July 2018.
To apply for the role of Spectrum Apprentice (2 Year FTC), please apply via the button shown.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Additional Keywords: Spectrum Apprentice, Contract, Radio Spectrum Apprentice, Trainee Electronics Engineer, Trainee Electrical Engineer, Engineering Apprentice, Apprentice, Apprenticeship, Engineering.
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"