Do you want to work in an incredible place with amazing benefits? As Sous Chef at Killerton, you’ll never work more than 40hrs/week, a maximum of one evening a month and no split shifts. You’ll also get 33 days holiday and generous pension contributions. If all that, plus a beautiful location, sounds good then we’d love to hear from you.What it's like to work here
Fashion-famous and full of colour, at 6,400 acres, Killerton is one of the National Trust’s largest special places and here we employ over 130 people. Our biggest department is Food & Beverage where 37 people work, looking after our 245,000 visitors per year.
There are 3 permanent Food & Beverage outlets at Killerton. The award-winning Killerton Kitchen restaurant provides special dishes inspired by the seasons and offers full service bistro style dining. The Stables Café is the perfect place to enjoy a freshly made slice of cake and a drink after enjoying the grounds, or a light lunch in this dog-friendly outlet. The Dairy Café is open at peak times and is ideal to pop in and grab a drink or a snack whilst taking a walk around the garden.
Located close to the vibrant city centre of Exeter, the 18th century house and parklands benefits from free parking and good transport links. Its size and scale, fabulous views and focus on fantastic visitor experience makes Killerton a truly wonderful place to work.What you'll be doing
With your passion for food and your appetite to provide an exceptional service to your customers, you’ll help make a visit to our catering outlet an integral part of the visitor experience. In this busy role, you’ll be energetic and enthusiastic, really taking ownership of the role, with a drive to help continue the success at Killerton (winner of Taste of the West Gold award for three years).
The National Trust Cookbook provides our properties with core menus working towards our food strategy of linking food to our relationships with special places. At Killerton you’ll also work alongside the Head Chef and Food & Beverage Manager to link the menu to our 'Spirit of Place’, using local ingredients grown in our own kitchen garden and flour made in the historic mill on-site for our tasty bread and scones. You’ll use your creativity to inspire our visitors, ensuring our menu reflects the seasons, and each dish is fresh, tasty and beautifully presented every time.
As part of a team, you'll strive for a culture of exceptional service and work effectively to deliver great results. You’ll be constantly seeking and developing new income opportunities and working to achieve financial targets and increase margins by minimising waste and controlling costs and resources. Along with the Head Chef, you’ll look after the catering for meetings and events at the regional hub on-site, as well as private dining and functions.
Working alongside the team, you'll ensure everyone is compliant with relevant legislation and internal processes including food hygiene and COSHH procedures. You may also be required, on occasions to supervise volunteers and other team members. You’ll be proud to share our valuable work with our visitors, and look to maximise sales with new ideas so that the profit can be reinvested back into our conservation work.Who we're looking for
As an experienced Sous Chef, you’ll be passionate about food and be driven to exceed customer’s expectations by delighting them with the delicious food you create, prepare and serve:
You'll need to be;
- Customer focussed with great verbal and written communication skills
- A great team player
- Creative and proactive
- IT literate
- Qualified in food preparation and cooking to City & Guilds or NVQ L2 or equivalent
- Experienced in successfully delivering a centrally developed menu in a fast paced, catering environment
- Proud to deliver exceptional customer service
- Aware of good working knowledge of Health & Safety compliance requirements
Looking after you
- Health cash plan - from as little as £2.81 per month for you and your dependents
- Pension contribution match up to 10%
- EAP and proactive Health and Wellbeing
- Discounted gym membership
Looking after your career
- Grow your career through professional training courses across the Trust
- Develop your skills with an internal secondment
- Pay review linked to values and behaviours, commitment to progression
- Income protection due to illness
Unique to Us
- Work in some of the most beautiful, iconic and unique locations in the UK
- Free entry to NT properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- 20% off in our retail and catering outlets
- Discount up to 35% off a National Trust holiday cottage booking
- Communication Skills
- Customer Service
- Active Team Player
- Menu Development