• The role provides technology design, development and support services to the business, its subsidiaries and its customers across the globe.
• The IT Group manages some 1000 applications, 20 networks, 11 domains and around 500 firewalls; they design and advise on global solutions which operate from around 100 additional networks operating in a dozen countries and at the highest in-country government security classifications.
• The Solutions Architect Manager has a significant responsibility owning the design templates and process to ensure that the organisation can meet its cost and deadline obligations around solutions design, implementation and hence project delivery
• Solution Architects play an important role ensuring that the solutions they produce align with roadmaps established by the Enterprise Architecture practice, and compliant with EA Standards, Principals & Policies.
• The SAM will ensure that all SA resources are aware of those standards, principals and policies, and adhere to the approved design process
• As the majority of the existing team are single domain focussed (predominantly Network & Infrastructure), the SAM will need to motivate, support and mentor those individuals to develop the necessary multi-domain skills (Process, Data and Applications, Infrastructure, Networks and Security) to provide a more rounded design team enabling a single SA to be appointed to each project, but drawing on the knowledge and expertise of the IT Operations personnel.
Knowledge, skills and Personal Qualities Required
• Strategy and architecture Consultancy: Takes responsibility for understanding client requirements, collecting data, delivering analysis and problem resolution. Identifies, evaluates and recommends options, implementing if required. Collaborates with, and facilitates stakeholder groups, as part of formal or informal consultancy agreements. Seeks to fully address client needs, enhancing the capabilities and effectiveness of client personnel, by ensuring that proposed solutions are properly understood and appropriately exploited
• IT management: Identifies and manages resources needed for the planning, design and implementation of specified technical solutions and services (including process, data and applications, infrastructure, networks and security). Influences senior level customers and project teams through design management initiatives, ensuring that the solution is designed to provide agreed levels of service and data integrity. Takes full responsibility for team budgeting, estimating, planning and objective setting. Plans and manages implementation of processes and procedures, tools and techniques for monitoring and managing the performance of solution architecture services, in respect of their contribution to business performance and benefits to the business, where the measure of success depends on achieving clearly stated business/financial goals and performance targets. Monitors performance and takes corrective action where necessary
• Shapes strategic thinking: Understands the organisation’s objectives and aligns operational activities accordingly. Considers the ramifications of issues and longer-term impact of own work and work area.
• Achieves results: Values specialist expertise and capitalises on the expert knowledge and skills of others. Contributes own expertise to achieve outcomes for the business.
• Cultivates productive working relationships: Involves people, encourages them and recognises their contribution. Consults and shares information and ensures others are kept informed of issues. Works collaboratively and operates as an effective team member.
• Exemplifies personal drive and integrity: Provides impartial and forthright advice. Challenges important issues constructively, stands by own position when challenged. Acknowledges mistakes and learns from them, and seeks guidance and advice when required.
• Communicates with influence: Approaches negotiations with a strong grasp of the key issues, having prepared in advance. Understands the desired objectives and associated strengths and weaknesses. Anticipates the position of the other party, and frames arguments accordingly. Encourages the support of relevant stakeholders. Strives to achieve an outcome that delivers benefit for both parties.
Extensive experience in managing the design of secure solutions in a complex IT environment
Minimum of SC security clearance will be required, capability to achieve DV is desirable
Preferably Degree Qualified or equivalent experience
Relevant domain level certification such as CCDP / CCIE, MCSE, OSCP, LPIC-3 etc. or equivalent providing evidence of advanced domain level knowledge and capabilities
Our client comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
- IT Management
- Security Clearance
- Project Delivery
- Strategic Thinking