We’re BookingGo, the ground transport division of Booking.com. We’re the ones who empower people to get where they’re going. Whether they’re taking the wheel or sitting back and leaving it to the driver. Whether they’re heading straight from A to B or enjoying the freedom to go wherever their journey takes them.
To do that, we operate multiple brands:
Booking.com - We’re the transport arm of the world’s leading travel booking site.
Rentalcars.com - The world’s biggest online car rental service, putting customers behind the wheel at over 50,000 locations worldwide.
Rideways - Finding the best way for each customer to get from A to B. Connect - Bringing our tried-and-tested magic to our partners’ sites, delivering seamless travel experiences through brands our customers already know and love.
With our HQ in Manchester, we’re part of the worldwide Booking.com family. At the same time, we’re proud of our own unique identity. Speaking 42 languages, our 1,600+ staff come from all over the world, just like our customers. What brings us together is our love of adventure: our own as well as other people’s. It’s easy to be passionate about a job that enriches so many lives on a daily basis, and our workplace reflects our passion, our diversity, our global focus. Just search "Manchester’s coolest office" and see for yourself. And we’re in good company. Together with priceline.com, KAYAK, agoda.com, and OpenTable, we’re part of Booking Holdings, the world leader in online travel and related services.
Engineering is a multi-skilled group of over 200 people responsible for providing the technology to enable the Rentalcars.com business. It is a fast paced, dynamic, exciting and driven environment providing services on a 24x7 basis. We provide all the touch points for our online customer experience through a market leading app, a great web site and all the software services and business systems to manage our customers and products. Our goal is to create a great customer experience across all platforms which help us deliver growth for our business.
Skills we are looking for
We are looking for a superb and enthusiastic Software Engineering Lead who will lead an agile team to push the boundaries on engineering brilliant solutions and contribute to shaping our new future. We expect you to have the energy and passion to deliver using a whole range of technologies and have a solid understanding of engineering principles. We also expect you to take the lead and line manage a team of Engineers. As a minimum, we expect all our Engineering Leads to have:
- Solid understanding of web development and web technologies
- Highly proficient in writing good quality object-oriented code using that is simple, fast under load and robust
- Solid understanding of how the web works starting at the request through to the response
- Proficient in the use of design patterns and frameworks such as MVC or Spring
- Good experience of Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery and Agile
- Solid understanding of major browsers (including dev tools) and platforms (Linux, AWS)
- Quality first mind-set for writing code using techniques such as TDD, BDD or Agile
- Good understanding of security principles and writing secure code
We have a large diverse technology estate and therefore our Engineers typically work in one of the following areas but are also free to move between areas as part their career development and aspirations:
Developing features for our web site across mobile, tablet and desktop. Our web site is the high-volume site handling millions of searches and bookings a year with a strong focus on A/B testing.
- Highly Proficient with HTML 5, AJAX, Bootstrapping, XHTML, HTTP, JQuery, JSON and XML
- Solid understanding of styling and applying design to web pages using CSS
- Highly Proficient with the use of JSP and Java
- Proficient with the use of Spring/Struts
Developing services and components within product domains that do not have public facing web site components for example our Search and Pricing Engines.
- Highly Proficient with the use of Java or PHP
- Solid understanding of web services and REST based APIs using JSON and XML
- Solid understanding of database technologies such as MySql, SQL Server
- Solid understanding of domain driven design
- Solid understanding of SOA
- Solid understanding of ORM technologies such as Hibernate
Full Stack Development
- Web Development & Service Development
Other beneficial skills
- Good understanding of asynchronous systems and messaging for example RabbitMQ
- Quality first mind-set for writing code using techniques such as TDD or BDD
- Solid understanding of Agile practices
- Commercial experience in an e-commerce background and A/B testing
- Cloud technologies such as AWS and container technologies such as Docker
- Good understanding or knowledge of web server technology such as Apache or Tomcat
What we offer in return
- Ownership of your work and a great technical challenge
- A great new office to work in the heart of Manchester
- Great facilities including subsidised canteen and Starbucks, free breakfast & fruit and cycle hub
- An exciting and dynamic place to work
- 25 days paid holiday plus bank holidays
- Great discounts on car rentals and other group benefits
- Opportunity to shape the future of the team
- Software development kit that works
- Software Development