Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
How you’ll make an impact
This is a really exciting time to join us as we are building out our new UK software engineering function that will focus on helping us build business critical products whilst contributing to new and improved experiences for our customers.
You'll work in collaboration with other Xeros to help create and deliver beautiful software to our customers faster; undertaking software application development on applications in our suite of Products (including new ones) and maintaining the standard for engineering excellence at Xero including continuing to develop your own knowledge and skills, and supporting your team members in building products together. You’ll contribute to our cross functional environment by working towards the same objectives, using modern principles and practices.
You'll help build and manage software that solves engineering problems at scale. You will be enabled to seek clarity with technical complexities and be able to demonstrate smart ways to automate. You’ll be able to make data-driven decisions that will release value early to solve Xero customers' problems more effectively.
Our engineering team work remotely and are spread across the UK, although we do have offices in London, Manchester and Milton Keynes.What you’ll do
- Create software - Care deeply about customer problems and technical excellence, produce robust high quality and scalable software. Relentlessly automate any manual processes. Contribute to technical solution designs that embrace a quality-first approach. Participate in code reviews.
- Test software - Design and automate testing activities that effectively reveal product quality across a range of risk areas and acceptance criteria. Collaborate with the team and understand their own responsibility for quality.
- Resolve issues - Triage and solve development and production issues, and be able to quickly track down the root cause. Communicate the impact of the problem to stakeholders in terms of business value, helping to set a priority for the resolution. Actively participate in incident responses.
- Engineering standards & frameworks - Maintain knowledge of Xero’s current and emerging engineering standards and practices. Develop and deploy software that meets Xero's standards.
- Continuous improvement - Maintain knowledge of current and emerging development technologies and methodologies. Develop expertise in one or more programming languages and ecosystem specific technologies.
- Deliver infrastructure in a production environment - Maintain and monitor delivery processes. Ensure all software is running as expected and proactively work to prevent customer facing problems.
- Modern software and delivery practices - Practice agile software development. Occasionally facilitate agile ceremonies. Proactively work to improve team processes.
- Live Xero’s vision and values - Keep Xero’s vision and values at the forefront of decision-making and actions. Communicate and help others understand the importance of the vision and values. Translate the vision and values into day-to-day activities and behaviours.
- Communication skills - Communicate with the wider team appropriately, focusing on timeliness and good quality conversations.
- Build relationships - Successfully build trust and credibility with stakeholders and team.
- Growth mindset - Understand that competency is not fixed but is enhanced through dedication and hard work.
- Innovation and delivery - Develop a track record of innovating and delivering technology in a team and solving customer’s problems through software.
- Coaching and mentorship - Mentor people under guidance of Senior Engineer & People Lead.
- Work collaboratively - Work with others to achieve a good outcome using a working style that suits the problem at hand.
- Self-learning - Maintains in-depth knowledge of advances and learnings in technologies relevant to Xero’s engineering environment.
- A solid background in building highly scalable cloud based applications and a passion for creating exceptional software
- Confident in upgrading tooling and technology underlying products
- Proficient in roll out and maintenance of cloud infrastructure for the team's products.
- Able to implement resilient software design patterns
- Able to maintain, update and document team APIs
- Familiar with application and infrastructure security concerns and proactively mitigates issues
- Regularly practices test driven and trunk based development
- Demonstrated ability to respond to production incidents
- Experience of React
- AWS or another hosting platform
- Data store technologies
At Xero we support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. We offer a great remuneration package with benefits that support a range of lifestyle choices and requirements and the opportunity to participate in Xero’s success through our Long Term Incentive scheme. Xero has rapidly expanding offices in London, Milton Keynes and Manchester and our work environment encourages continuous improvement and career development.
Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. We are a Stonewall Diversity Champion, and Disability Confident committed. So, from the moment you step
Bank or payment details should never be provided when applying for a job. For information on how to stay safe in your job search, visit SAFERjobs.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'