About the role
We are seeking a mid-level Software Engineer based in either our Derby or Matlock office. Working as part of the the Engineering and Technologies Solutions business, you will be required to support the delivery of our rail focused software products.
We are looking for candidates with general software programming knowledge and an interest in traditional engineering solutions.
What you'll be doing
Duties and responsibilities will include;
- 60-70% of the role will be programming, using C++ and/or C# and Microsoft development stack
- Contribute to software development projects within the Balfour Beatty Rail software team, by undertaking analysis, design and development activities in line with the business software development process, quality plans and all other internal quality processes.
- Develop robust maintainable software for projects allocated by the business
- Carry out work in accordance with our ISO-9001 and TickITplus quality system
- Support the full project lifecycle as required from capture through to final testing and release
- Work both independently and as part of a team to ensure systems are working effectively, including being able to grow into leadership roles, such as mentoring more junior members of the team and leading projects
- Liaison with the project lead, including daily stand-ups, to keep them updated with progress and identified risks
- Contribute to the creation of requirements and testing documents as required by the project lead
- Work alongside other Engineers, including domain experts, for the purposes of analysis, design, development and testing of allocated deliverables
- Provide 2nd line support to users as required
Who we're looking for
Desired Skills and Experience
We are looking for the following skills and experience;
- Experience with main stream programming languages to include C++ and/or C#, ASP.NET, SQL.
- Degree or equivalent in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or Software development
- Ideally experienced in Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio, or database products such as SQLite
- Commercial experience of the Visual Studio development environment building WinForm applications.
- Ideally an understanding of TDD/Automated testing, Continuous Integration, Bug tracking processes, agile development, Resharper, WPF/MVVM, Microsoft Azure cloud solutions.
- Preferably a basic understanding of the Rail industry
- Excellent interpersonal and written / verbal communication
- Commercial experience
- A quick learner