The role is to lead a team of Developers with a rough 50/50 split between coding and formalisation of development process and team leading. Within the role you will be developing, documenting and reviewing code for our products and solutions, whilst quality assuring practices to ensure consistency whilst working with a number of external suppliers and partners. Leading from the front to embed an enthusiastic and driven team. You will also need to be strategic and ensure the team has sufficient support and that development plans keep the company at the forefront of modern technology whilst aligning with company targets.
The ideal candidate will have previous experience of leading a development team within a commercial, product based environment. Travel technology experience is not essential but an understanding of communicating with external web services using XML is most definitely preferred.
Key responsibilities include:
- Leading a team of software development staff across all languages and skillsets.
- Defining the overall strategy and approach for development within projects and product support.
- Responsibility for ensuring the software development function runs efficiently and effectively within the business
- Ensuring a common set of best practices are defined for application development in each of the technologies being used.
- Working with the Director of Operations to help shape the application landscape.
Software Development Lead role requirements:
- Strong performance management skills and experience in supporting and managing Developers in a matrix style management structure.
- Ability to demonstrate implementing and managing with effective development methodologies such as Agile and Waterfall.
- Experience of developing products and maintaining a robust live environment, whilst managing enhancements and patches in safe environments.
- Ability to use a wide range of written and verbal communication skills to communicate information from simple to highly complex and highly confidential.
- Experienced in the introduction and management of Development standards.
- A clear leader, showing a positive 'can do attitude' through strong, confident decision making which is well-measured and consistent.
- Comfortable with challenging poor standards and working through them to affect positive change.
- A desire to learn the business but ultimately build upon that knowledge and lead others
- Confident to make decisions that may not be liked by all, but ultimately result in a better all round experience.
- Key skills such as ownership, innovation and a flexible attitude to a fast paced working environment
- A keen eye for detail and a sense of pride in what they deliver that will exceed the expectations of the customer where possible.
- Excellent organisational skills
- Professional, engaging and enthusiastic
- Ability to be flexible around working hours and shifts to accommodate the support of global customers and suppliers
The company provide high quality desktop and Internet software for the travel industry. Having built up an excellent reputation by offering a first class development and support service ensuring customers are kept up to date with this rapidly changing industry. They pride ourselves on operating in an industry sector that is exciting, innovative and very relevant and aim to deliver results that go 'beyond expectations'.
The company have been established for 20 years and have been going from strength to strength ever since. Become part of a strong skill sharing culture, which has allowed their developers to learn new skills, and have long and varied careers within the ever changing IT industry.
They offer a flexible and relaxed working environment where every team member's opinion is valued. You will have the opportunity to progress rapidly in your career and have a real impact on the on-going growth of the business.
If you are an experienced Software Developer looking for an exciting opportunity that will offer you variety and the opportunity to make a real difference in a technology focused business then this is the role for you!
Software Development Lead - Blackburn - ASP.Net, VB.Net, C#, SQL - Salary between £45,000 - £50,000 depending on experience plus benefits including 22 days holiday plus bank holiday, workplace pension, private healthcare following probation period, on site parking and several other incentives.
Oscar Technology Limited is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.